Advertisement

Tensions Ease After Shillong Violence, Assam And Meghalaya To Build Peace Mechanism

Fifteen FIRs have so far been registered in connection with the violence. Five masked persons have been identified in connection with attacks

Tensions Ease After Shillong Violence, Assam And Meghalaya To Build Peace Mechanism
Meghalaya said its control room had received 379 distress calls
Guwahati:

Assam and Meghalaya have agreed to complete the evacuation of stranded Assam-bound passengers and vehicles from Meghalaya within 48 hours, while setting up joint mechanisms to prevent further escalation following the August 19 violence in Shillong.

The decision was taken at a joint meeting of the two governments at the Koinadhara State Guest House on Saturday, led by Meghalaya Deputy Chief Minister S Dhar and Assam Minister Atul Bora, along with senior officials from both states.

The meeting, which lasted more than three hours, also saw Meghalaya assure Assam that strong action would be taken against those involved in the August 19 violence.

According to the decisions taken at the meeting, the Meghalaya government expressed regret over the August 19 incident and assured that those responsible would face action. The President, Vice-President and General Secretary of the Khasi Students' Union (KSU) have been arrested under the Meghalaya Maintenance of Public Order Act.

Fifteen FIRs have so far been registered in connection with the violence. Five masked persons have been identified in connection with attacks, particularly those targeting Assam-registered vehicles.

A Special Investigation Team (SIT) has been constituted to identify all those involved and ensure their prosecution. More than 3,770 Assam-registered vehicles have already been safely escorted out of Meghalaya into Assam. The Assam Control Room has received 54 distress calls involving 175 people, including occupants of 22 private vehicles and five tourist vehicles.

Meghalaya said its control room had received 379 distress calls and was assisting people seeking safe passage. Around 400-500 vehicles that had earlier been stranded in Meghalaya have crossed key transit corridors, including the Umiam Lake section.

The two governments have decided to undertake a dedicated operation to ensure that any remaining passengers or vehicles wanting to return to Assam are safely escorted within the next 48 hours.

Hotline, joint committees planned

To strengthen coordination, Assam and Meghalaya will establish a dedicated mechanism between the IG, Special Branch, Assam, and IG, Law and Order, Meghalaya, supported by dedicated helplines and an online support forum.

The coordination mechanism will remain operational until the situation is fully normalised.

The states will also constitute permanent district-level joint committees involving the Deputy Commissioners of Nongpoh and Kamrup Metropolitan, along with police officials from both sides, to address day-to-day issues along the inter-state border.

In a significant move for the tourism sector, a joint committee on tourist transport will also be formed, comprising senior transport authorities of both states and representatives of tourist vehicle associations.

The committee will facilitate and regulate tourist vehicle movement and work towards safeguarding the shared tourism interests of Assam and Meghalaya.

Safe passage through both states

Both governments also agreed to ensure safe transit for vehicles travelling between different parts of Assam through Meghalaya, including vehicles travelling from the Barak Valley, as well as for Meghalaya-bound travellers who need to pass through Assam.

The Meghalaya government reiterated that it would take responsibility for the safety and security of tourists and vehicles travelling from Assam and other parts of the country into Meghalaya during their stay and movement within the state.

The decisions come amid heightened tensions following attacks on Assam-registered vehicles in Shillong on August 19, which triggered retaliatory concerns and disruption of movement along the Assam-Meghalaya border.

The joint measures are aimed at restoring confidence among tourists, transport operators and residents and preventing the current crisis from escalating further.

How may i help you today
Show full article

Track Latest News Live on NDTV.com and get news updates from India and around the world

Follow us:
Listen to the latest songs, only on JioSaavn.com