New Delhi: The Ministry of Railways has introduced a new Rajdhani on the Delhi-Mumbai route. The special train, which will be launched on October 16, is aimed at reducing travel time by two hours with the current infrastructure and rolling stock.
Here are ten facts about new Delhi-Mumbai Rajdhani Express:
(With inputs from PTI)
- The new Delhi-Mumbai Rajdhani will cut travel time by two hours by covering the busy route in just 14 hours. The two other Rajdhanis on the route - the August Kranti Rajdhani and the Mumbai Central-New Delhi Rajdhani - take 16-17 hours.
- It will cut travel fare by Rupees 600-800 in comparison with the other two Rajdhanis already on the route and will cover a distance of 1,377 km. The train comes at a time when Railways has been losing its passengers to airlines as fares in AC 2 Tier and AC 1 Tier are most of the times higher that flights between two cities.
- Flexi fare shall not be levied on bookings on this train. The fare, however, will be 20 per cent more than the base fare of the existing Rajdhanis on the route. The concession is between Rs. 600-Rs. 835.
- The train, which will run from the Hazrat Nizamuddin station in Delhi to the Bandra Terminus in Mumbai, will have three stops -- Kota, Vadodara and Surat.
- It will initially run for three months -- from October 16 to January 16 -- for three days a week and will chug-off from Delhi on Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays and from Bandra on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays.
- The catering services will be optional resulting in further reduction in prices if the passenger chooses to opt out.
- The train will be hauled by two electric locomotives for better acceleration, deceleration and higher speed. It will run at a maximum speed of 130 kmph but due to some curves and speed restrictions on the route, its average speed will come down to about 89 kmph.
- The route is also one of the two to be developed into special corridors with semi-high-speed services.
- The special train will comprise one first AC, two 2AC and twelve 3AC coaches besides a pantry car and two power cars.
- It will be beneficial for travellers as it will reach the respective destinations at around 6:00 am, giving them more time to spend in the city as well as helping them avoid suburban peak hour traffic.
Get the latest election news, live updates and election schedule for Lok Sabha Elections 2019 on ndtv.com/elections. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram for updates from each of the 543 parliamentary seats for the 2019 Indian general elections.