Rafale deal case: Petitions demanding a court-monitored investigation into the Rs 59,000-crore deal.
New Delhi: The Supreme Court today said there was no occasion to doubt the decision-making process in the multi-billion dollar Rafale deal for 36 fighter jets. A bench headed by Chief Justice Ranjan Gogoi said there has been a necessity of fighter aircraft and the country cannot remain without these jets. The Chief Justice, who read out the judgement for the three-judge bench, said no reasons were found to interfere in the procurement process for the fighter jets. The top court said it is not the job of the court to deal with the comparative details of the pricing.
Here are 5 big quotes from the Supreme Court order of Rafale deal:
- "We don't find substantial matter to interfere with issue of procurement, pricing and offset partner in Rafale jet deal."
- "We can't sit in judgement over the wisdom of purchase of aircraft."
- "We find no reasons to interfere in procurement process for 36 Rafale fighter jets from France."
- "We don't find any substantial element to show that there is any commercial favouritism to any private entity."
- "Not the job of this court to go into the differential pricing details, which must be kept confidential."
Disclaimer: NDTV has been sued for 10,000 crores by Anil Ambani's Reliance Group for its coverage of the Rafale deal.
Get the latest election news, live updates and election schedule for Lok Sabha Elections 2019 on ndtv.com/elections. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram for updates from each of the 543 parliamentary seats for the 2019 Indian general elections.