Prime Minister Narendra Modi and US President Donald Trump have addressed media before their bilateral meeting in New York. It is expected that the trade standoff between India and the United States will be discussed by PM Modi and Mr Trump. The two leaders had shared a stage on Sunday at the 'Howdy, Modi!' event, which was organised by the Indian-American community in Houston. On Monday, after a meeting with Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan, Mr Trump renewed his offer of arbitration between India and Pakistan over Kashmir. Asked about his comment, the Foreign Ministry told the media on today to wait till the bilateral meeting is over.
Here are the highlights of PM Modi, Donald Trump's joint statement:
- Had fruitful discussions with President Trump: PM Modi
- We will have a trade deal very soon: Mr Trump
- Had a very good meeting with PM Khan. Iran would have to be on the top of the list (on terrorism): Donald Trump
- PM Modi has the message loud and clear. I am sure he will be able to handle the situation (on terrorism from Pakistan): Trump
- PM Modi is like the father of India: Mr Trump
- People went crazy, PM Modi was like Elvis (Presley): Donald Trump on 'Howdy, Modi!' event
- America is a very dear friend. Our friendship is based on shared values: PM Modi
- President Trump is not a good friend of mine, he is also a great friend of India: PM Modi
- India-US trade will reach 60 billion dollars: PM Modi
- My personal chemistry (with PM Modi) is good as it can get. I have great respect, admiration and I really like him. He is a great gentleman and a great leader. I remember India before, it was very torn. There was a lot of dissension, lot of fighting, and he brought it all together. Like a father would bring it together. Maybe he is the father of India. We would call him the father of India. I think he has done a fantastic job: Trump
- I had a very good meeting with Prime Minister Khan. It was a long meeting and we discussed a lot. I believe these two great gentlemen (Imran Khan and PM Modi) will get together and work something. You mentioned Pakistan but Iran would have to be on top of the list (on terrorism) because if you look at terrorist states it has been No. 1 for very long time. I really believe Prime Minister Modi and Prime Minister Khan will get along when they get to know each other. I think a lot of good things will come from that meeting: Donald Trump
Follow NDTV for latest election news and live coverage of assembly elections 2019 in Maharashtra and Haryana.
Subscribe to our YouTube channel, like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram for latest news and live news updates.