The Rafale debate continued in the Parliament after a heated debate yesterday between the Opposition and the ruling party. Rahul Gandhi, Congress chief and leader of the Opposition, took shots at Prime Minister Narendra Modi and challenged him for an one-on-one on the Rafale deal. "The PM has no guts to come to the Parliament and give answers on Rafale," the Congress president said, adding that Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman was "hiding" behind AIADMK members in the house. The Rajya Sabha will take up the triple talaq bill today for consideration and passing.
The Upper House will also take up for consideration and passing the National Council for Technical Education (NCTE) Amendment Bill '18, and Right of Children to Free and Compulsory Education Amendment Bill '18, the Appropriation (No.6) Bill '18.
Both houses saw repeated adjournments with 19 AIADMK and TDP lawmakers being suspended from the Lok Sabha for 4 days. Lok Sabha was then adjourned for the day.
Here are the Highlights of the Parliament proceedings:
"Congress's mistakes hurting Kashmir. It created barriers in the state's growth." he said.
Soon after Chairman M Venkaiah Naidu expressed anguish at proceedings of the House being repeatedly adjourned because of disruptions, A Navaneethakrishnan from AIADMK raised the issue of the party's 24 members in Lok Sabha being barred from attending the lower house for five days.
The AIADMK members, he said, are unable to participate in Lok Sabha proceedings.
"This is undemocratic," he said as Mr Naidu ruled that conduct in Lok Sabha cannot be discussed in the Upper House.
Demanding that the central government withdraw permission given for a detailed feasibility report (DFR) for Mekadatu dam project, he said people of Tamil Nadu are being adversely affected.
Referring to party MPs being suspended from Lok Sabha, he said, "Our people are suffering".
To this, Mr Naidu said, "People of the country are suffering" because of disruptions his party has caused in Rajya Sabha resulting in washout of proceedings on most days of current winter session of Parliament.
He said Water Resources Minister Nitin Gadkari came to the House on Wednesday to give a statement on the issue but could not do so due to disruptions by the party members.
The Chairman did not allow Mr Navaneethakrishnan to raise the issue any further, following which the AIADMK members walked out of the House.
Bills for consideration and passing
- The National Council for Teacher Education (Amendment) Bill, 2018
- The Right of Children to Free and Compulsory Education (Amendment) Bill, 2018
- The Muslim Women (Protection of Rights on Marriage) Bill, 2018
Bill for consideration and return
- The Appropriation (No 6) Bill, 2018
Bills for consideration and passing
- The Companies (Amendment) Bill, 2018
- The Aadhaar and other Laws (Amendment) Bill 2018
- The New Delhi International Arbitration Bill, 2018
- The National Medical Commission Bill, 2017
- The Dentists (Amendment) Bill, 2017
- The Personal Laws (Amendment) Bill 2018
Discussion under Rule 193
- Further discussion on issues relating to Rafale deal
- Discussion on natural calamities in various parts of the country, particularly Kerala, Tamil Nadu and Odisha with special reference to cyclones Gaja, Titli etc.
So it seems our PM has fled Parliament & his own open book Rafale exam & is instead lecturing students at Lovely Univ. in Punjab, today.- Rahul Gandhi (@RahulGandhi) January 3, 2019
I request the students there to, respectfully, ask him to please answer the 4 questions posed to him by me, yesterday. #RafaleScam