It's busy day in parliament today as lawmakers are debating debate multiple issues, including the Triple Talaq bill in the Rajya Sabha and the Rafale deal in the Lok Sabha. In the Lok Sabha, Rahul Gandhi launched an attack on Prime Minister Narendra Modi over the Rafale deal. "The PM has no guts to come to parliament and give answers on Rafale," the Congress president said, adding that Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman was "hiding" behind AIADMK members in the house. The Triple Talaq bill was passed by the Lok Sabha last week. The government considered a law on it after the Supreme Court said in August last year that the traditional method of Muslim men instantly divorcing their wives by uttering Talaq thrice was "unconstitutional" and "arbitrary". The Rajya Sabha was adjourned till today after the opposition demanded for a select parliamentary committee for further scrutiny of the bill. During the debate, Union minister Smriti Irani said if a contract is being cancelled, it cannot be done unilaterally. And if it is cancelled, there are repercussions. Aadhaar and Other Laws (Amendment) Bill, 2018 are also listed for introduction in the Lok Sabha today. The Rajya Sabha is also to discuss farmer issues
Disclaimer: NDTV has been sued for 10,000 crores by Anil Ambani's Reliance Group for its coverage of the Rafale deal.
Here are the LIVE UPDATES of the parliament proceedings:
- Biju Janata Dal (BJD) leader Kalikesh Narayan Singh Deo says where are the pricing details of Rafale?
- Want to have the house to have a closer look at the details of the deal.
- The defense deal has paralyzed the Indian Air Force and benefited politics. This deal deserves transparency.
- Arun Jaitley has cherry picked the fact that suits his debate. Why should we be mute spectators to the deal that stinks?
- The pricing of the deal is available everywhere except the official sources.
- The HAL employees thousands of people in this country. Is it not a breach of national interest when the contract is given to Reliance that has a debt of 45,000 crore.
- Asks why was a newcomer given the offset contract?
- Why is the defence minister not speaking?
- Our party TMC, and our leader Mamata Banerjee believe in transparency
- The people who are into policy making have to take care of Air Force too. There have been demands since 2001 for the extra planes.
- I would like to address Rahul Gandhi's question. In the press statement that was released with President Francois Hollande, terms and conditions were mentioned. 74 meetings were held to decide on various details. When an agreement was reached after 74 meetings, then The Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) got involved.
- Nobody here can be entitled enough to challenge the Supreme Court verdict. The court has clearly said process was duly followed.
- If they were aware of what happened in 11 years, we wouldn't have to answer these questions on what is being done in two years. Our escalation clause is better than their escalation cause.
- Supreme Court said, "To satisfy the conscience of the court, we would ask for the price". Centre gave the prices in sealed cover and court's conscience was satisfied, but Congress conscience hasn't been still satisfied.
- Has a particular family been benefited? I am amazed Congress doesn't understand the definition of offset.
- Congress is falsely claiming 130,000 crore purchases were being made. How can that be when the total transaction is of 58,000 crore.
- Why wasn't HAL given contract. Was the UPA not in two minds about giving contract to HAL?
- HAL required 2.5 higher man-hours than French counterparts, Why wasn't this observation made by UPA?
- Joint Parliamentary Committee (JPC)-Offset, Pricing, among other issues have already been reviewed by Supreme Court. Rafale deal is not a policy matter. It's about transparency. If Supreme Court is satisfied, why would JPC review it? In JPCs, people are divided on party lines.
- Here, on every issue that the Supreme Court has said, the lead speaker of the Congress party says he has a view which has been thrown out.
- There are some people who have a natural dislike for truth.
- I will now list out each of the inaccurate false allegations he has made.
- He says: The procedure is wrong.There was no Defence acquisition committee...This is what I say an arithmetic that even a kindergarten child will understand.
- The French government has denied the allegations raised by Hollande, today he again repeats it.
- They don't understand national security. They only understand "paisa" (money).
- Rahul Gandhi has been talking about abbreviations. So was he playing in the lap of a certain "Q" when he was younger?
- Who is the Italian Lady? Who is the Italian Lady's son? What is son going to talk to Italian mother?
- What is this Rafale issue? Why was this needed in the country? It could have been used during Kargil war.
- If there was 1 case, I may have given the family a benefit of doubt. But if there are 3 cases, then 3 is a way too much.
- It is a tragedy for the country that the grand old party is today headed by a gentleman who doesn't have an understanding what a combat aircraft is.
- Today, he tried to play a tape which he knows his party manufactured it. He knows very well the Health minister of Goa and Chief minister of Goa said it is fabricated.
- During the Kargil war, our defence had 1.5 mm guns. Rafale jets could have struck from 150-200 kms. Defence requested Rafale in 2001 and it was agreed upon.
- Air Officials, during presentation, had informed me that our enemies have increased the strength of their squadron, while our strength was depleting.
- Big question: HAL made aircraft, was a big contract, then they could have been honoured with making Rafale.
- He is told not to take Anil Ambani's name by speaker.
- Mr Gandhi says may be he is a member of the BJP. Can I call him AA (referring to Anil Ambani)?
- So, AA got the contract. Entire France will make aircraft. Indians will lose the jobs.
- Supreme Court said Rafale deal investigation not under their jurisdiction but we went a JPC enquiry.
- Goa cabinet minister said he has files in the house and has the whole truth of Rafale.
- Ex Defence Minister (Manohar Parrikar) said he has Rafale files in his cupboard and has stated in his cabinet and has been autheticated by a cabinet minister of Goa who belongs to BJP.
- PM Modi gave AA (Anil Ambani) Rs 30,000 crore, snatched contract from HAL.
- Yesterday PM seemed scared and tired in his interview. Said no one was questioning him in Rafale deal. Whole India is questioning the PM, Mr Gandhi said.
Arun Jaitley said Rahul Gandhi will not be playing the tape as it is not authenticated. He also said Rahul Gandhi lies 5 times a day.
- It is a tragedy that the members of the AIADMK are protecting the BJP and not letting the debate happen.
- As leader of opposition my job is to question the government.
- In an interview yesterday the PM said, no one is accusing him about Rafale.
- Everyone is asking how the PM spoke for 1 and half hours in a staged interview yet did not speak on the fundamentals of the Rafale deal.
- The Rafale aircraft was chosen after dedicated work of 8 years. The airforce wanted 126 aircrafts. Who changed the requirement of the aircraft from 126 to 36?
- Why hasn't a single rafale aircraft landed in indian soil till today.
- Manohar Parrikar, then defence minister, himself said he has no idea about the new deal.
- Dear Prime Minister, why did you give this contract to your dear friend Anil Ambani... why did you take this contract away from HAL?
- For 5 minutes, PM cant speak on Rafale. PM does not have guts to come to Parliament and hides in his room. Defence minister hides behind AIADMK members.
- The Cabinet Committee on Security did not have any knowledge.
- Everyone knew that the UPA was to buy the aircraft at 526 crore. When PM Modi met then French President Hollande, the price of the jet went up to 1600 crore. Why did the President say that the PM told me that the price will be valid, and that the contract will be given from HAL to Mr Ambani.
- HAL making aircraft for 70 years. HAL has a tremendous record, HAL gives jobs to thousands of youngsters. On the other side, Mr Ambani is 45,000 crore in debt. He opens a company 10 days before the signing of deal.
- Mr Ambani buys a plot of land with the money given by Dassault to Ambani.
- The National Council for Teacher
- Education (Amendment) Bill, 2018
- The Right of Children to Free and Compulsory Education (Amendment) Bill, 2018
- The Muslim Women (Protection of Rights on Marriage) Bill, 2018
Bills to be introduced:
- The Aadhaar and other Laws (Amendment) Bill 2018
Bills for consideration and passing:
- The Companies (Amendment) Bill, 2018
- The New Delhi International Arbitration Bill, 2018
- The National Medical Commission Bill, 2017
Discussion under Rule 193
- Discussion on issues relating to Rafale deal
- Discussion on natural calamities in various parts of the country, particularly Kerala, Tamil Nadu and Odisha with special reference to cyclones Gaja, Titli etc.
Soon after the House convened for the day, members from the AIADMK trooped into the Well protesting against construction of a dam across the Cauvery River. Many of them were also holding placards.
Later, members from the TDP also joined them. They were demanding special financial assistance for Amravati.
Around 30 members from both the parties were in the Well. As soon as the AIADMK members started their protest, Speaker Sumitra Mahajan said that their problem would not be solved like this and asked them to discuss the issue with the minister concerned.
"I don't think it sends the right message to your state... this unruly behaviour must stop," she told the protesting members.
A question related to vacancies in lower judiciary was taken up during the Question Hour, which went on for around 20 minutes.
As the din continued, the Speaker adjourned the proceedings till noon.
The Congress and other opposition parties had demanded in the Rajya Sabha that the triple talaq bill be sent to a select committee for further scrutiny, even as the government accused them of doing politics on the issue.