New Delhi: After documents have indicated that details of India's Scorpene submarines have been leaked, Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar said today that he had been assured the impact is "minimal", even though India is "assuming the worst case scenario".
- Impact 'minimal' but India 'assuming the worst case scenario': Parrikar
- India sources weapon systems from different vendors: Parrikar
- The Australian had accessed leaked pages of classified data on submarines
"We are going by assumption of the worst case scenario. I think there is not big worry because we will be able out put things in right perspective," Mr Parrikar said.
The Australian on Tuesday reported that it had 22,400 pages of user and technical manuals of the Scorpene submarine that exposed the combat capability of the submarines, being built at a cost of $3.5 billion. India is building six Scorpene Submarines designed by French shipmaker DCNS.
Mr Parrikar said that India sources weapon systems from different vendors and those details aren't out. Also, he pointed out, "the sea trials of the first submarine haven't started, which is important to understand how it will work under water."
"Basically what is on the website is not of concern to us but we are assuming on our own that this has been leaked and taking all precautions," he told reporters on the sidelines of a conclave for foreign and defence attaches in India.
"We do our own integration therefore the leaked documents are unlikely to impact our programme," the minister said. Still, he added, a team is investigating and has been asked to identify the areas of concerns.
India and France have opened investigations into the leak with Delhi asking for a detailed report.