Today marks the 7th day of Navratri 2020 and the day is dedicated to Maa Kalaratri. During Navratri, the nine avatars of Maa Durga or Navdurga are worshipped. The puja of Kalaratri is done on Saptami. Shardiya Navratri is the most auspicious time of the year for Hindus. People across the country look forward to Navratri and Durga Puja. Kalaratri Mata is considered as the fiercest form of Maa Durga or Goddess Parvati. Her name has two words: Kal meaning time and Ratri or night. Kalaratri is considered to be the destroyer of darkness and evil. According to scriptures, Parvati came to be known as Kalaratri Mata after she shed her golden skin to kill two demons, Shumbha and Nishumbha. Kalratri is also known as Goddess Kali, another avatar of Shakti.
Maa Kalaratri Puja Vidhi: Steps to follow
- Before starting Maa Kalratri Puja, family members sit together near the Kalash or the seat of Goddess Durga which was established on the first day of Navratri.
- A photo of Kalaratri Mata is kept near the Kalash
- First, worship of the Kalash is done with flowers
- Next mantras of Kalaratri Puja are recited with a night blooming flower - preferably jasmine. Hibiscus flowers are also used.
- Kalratri Mata is offered gur or jaggery and water as bhog. Many devotees also keep sweets and fruits along with it.
- After puja, aarti is done and the prasad is distributed among family and friends
Maa Kalaratri Mantras
Om Devi Kalaratryai Namah
Praethana: Ekaveni Japakarnapura Nagna Kharasthita
Lamboshthi Karnikakarni Tailabhyakta Sharirini
Vardhana Murdhadhwaja Krishna Kalaratrirbhayankari
Stuti: Ya Devi Sarvabhuteshu Ma Kalaratri Rupena Samsthita
Namastasyai Namastasyai Namastasyai Namo Namah
Dhyan: Karalavandana Ghoram Muktakeshi Chaturbhujam
Kalaratrim Karalimka Divyam Vidyutamala Vibhushitam
Divyam Lauhavajra Khadga Vamoghordhva Karambujam
Abhayam Varadam Chaiva Dakshinodhvaghah Parnikam Ma
Mahamegha Prabham Shyamam Taksha Chaiva Gardabharudh
Ghoradamsha Karalasyam Pinonnata Payodharam
Sukha Prasanna Vadana Smeranna Saroruha
Evam Sachiyantayet Kalaratrim Sarvakam Samriddhidam
Stotra: Him Kalaratri Shrim Karali Cha Klim Kalyani Kalawati
Kalamata Kalidarpadhni Kamadisha Kupanvita
Kumatighni Kulinartinashini Kula Kamini
Klim Hrim Shrim Mantrvarnena Kalakantakaghatini
Kripamayi Kripadhara Kripapara Kripagama