CDR scam: Kangana Ranaut said a proper investigation must be done before "drawing assumptions"
New Delhi: Ayesha Shroff, the wife of actor Jackie Shroff, has been summoned by the police in Maharashtra's Thane in connection with a call data record (CDR) scam. Her name, along with that of actor Kangana Ranaut, has come up during the questioning of a lawyer, Rizwan Siddiqui, who was arrested last week. The scandal involves the extraction of call details from private detectives and surfaced in January when four detectives were arrested on a tip-off. Earlier this month, actor Nawazuddin Siddiqui emphatically denied being a part of the racket and paying to spy on his wife. Meanwhile, the Bombay High Court slammed the Thane police for not following procedure before arresting Rizwan Siddiqui following which he was released this evening.
Following are the latest updates in the Call Detail Record scam:
- The names of Kangana Ranaut and Ayesha Shroff came up in the CDR scam when the police were checking the mobile phone of Rizwan Siddiqui, a top Thane crime branch officer said.
- The police say Kangana Ranaut shared Hrithik Roshan's number with lawyer Rizwan Siddiqui, who was released today after spending five days in police custody.
- Responding to the reports, Kangana Ranaut said a proper investigation must be done before "drawing assumptions". "When we respond to a notice, we give all details to lawyer. To assume that these details were used to violate law and make statements based on that assumption and defame an artiste is super lame," Kangana Ranaut said in a statement.
- Kangana Ranaut and Hrithik Roshan were believed to have been in a relationship in the past and have had a public and very ugly row. The actor had approached the cyber crime division of Mumbai Police to trace the person who was allegedly talking to actor Kangana Ranaut on his behalf from an email address.
- Thane police sources say that Rizwan Siddiqui told the police that Ayesha Shroff had sourced the call records of an actor, Sahil Khan, from an unidentified person.
- The Bombay High Court came down heavily on Thane police for arresting Rizwan Siddiqui without adhering to proper procedure, following which the lawyer was released.
- Apart from Rizwan Siddiqui, 11 more people have been arrested, mainly private detectives. Rizwan Siddiqui denies the allegations against him. He told reporters he was vindicated and would not like to speak on any of his clients.
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui has denied that he acquired call records of his wife's phone through his lawyer by hiring a private detective to track her contacts and movements. He called the allegations "random" on social media.
- The police say the accused in the CDR scam have revealed the names of other Bollywood celebrities, businessmen and even politicians who are involved in the racket.
- According to sources, the accused allegedly told the police that they sold the illegally sourced data for Rs 25,000 to Rs 50,000. The police believe this may have been used for blackmail too.
Get the latest election news, live updates and election schedule for Lok Sabha Elections 2019 on ndtv.com/elections. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram for updates from each of the 543 parliamentary seats for the 2019 Indian general elections.