Gujarat Election Result Highlights: PM Modi meets Amit Shah after BJP reduced to double digits in Gujarat
For the Gujarat Assembly election, counting day has been full of twists and turns, ups and downs, cheers and celebrations, and quite a few nail biting moments. Prime Minister Narendra Modi's BJP, which came to power in Gujarat for the sixth time, faced a tough battle against a renewed Congress under the leadership of newly elected party president Rahul Gandhi. The BJP, whose chief Amit Shah, had set a target of 150 plus seats for the party in the 182-seat assembly, faced a greater challenge that they probably expected. Counting of votes began at 8 am this morning. Usually on election counting day, results are more or less known by midday, but today's contest between the BJP and the Congress kept everyone guessing the margin of victory till late evening. The Congress which is seen to gain nearly twenty seats compared to the 2012 assembly elections secured 77 seats. The BJP, though seen to be getting a majority mandate, has been reduced to double digits and finished with 99 seats, down sixteen. Campaigns in Gujarat, both by the BJP and the Congress, were high-pitched and bitterly-fought. The BJP has been ruling in Gujarat for the last two decades and today's win is being seen as a significant one ahead of the 2019 general elections. The BJP also won in Himachal Pradesh. For the latest updates on the Himachal Pradesh election results
, please click here
. NDTV's coverage of the Gujarat Assembly election result can be seen here
Here are the highlights for the Gujarat Assembly election result 2017:
Gujarat Election Result: Who Said What After BJP Wins Clear Majority In Gujarat Assembly
Vijay Rupani, Gujarat Chief Minister: "BJP's victory in the Assembly elections showed people's unshakable faith in the agenda of development, caste-less and classless society. I acknowledge with humility people's verdict who have voted for BJP and reposed faith in the politics of good governance - a dominant theme flourished by Prime Minister Modi on the Indian political landscape."
Manohar Parrikar, Chief Minister of Goa spoke about newly-elected Congress chief Rahul Gandhi: "In his opening innings he has scored a zero".
Nirmala Sitharaman, Defence Minister: "Undoubtedly, a major victory. The kind of work which Party workers have done right from booth workers level till PM's level, everybody put their best foot forward. People of Gujarat have recognised the good work going on in the state."
Smriti Irani, Union Minister: "It is a matter of happiness for us, this is the victory of development. Jo jeeta wohi sikandar. It is victory of every booth worker's hard work & the people who trusted development".
Yogi Adityanath, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister: "I had already said this would happen. A change of guard in the Congress leadership will be a good sign for the BJP. That aside, people have rejected divisive politics of Congress, this win is due to the dynamic leadership of BJP and the hard work of BJP workers".
Nitin Gadkari, Union Minister: "All sections of society have voted above caste politics. This is a win of development politics of the Prime Minister. In Gujarat, OBC, patidar, dalit all were used for caste politics by the Congress but caste politics could not get success. People have approved of our policies and work done under the leadership of Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his development agenda. As far as Rahul Gandhi is concerned, after he became Congress president, he has lost Himachal Pradesh and could not bring the Congress in power to Gujarat."
Vasundhara Raje, Rajasthan Chief Minister: "The people of Gujarat have once again voted for development. They once again reposed faith in the BJP leadership. It shows there is no alternative to the BJP in the country.
Ashish Shelar, Mumbai BJP chief: The election results have proven that the 'bullet train' of development, under PM Modi's leadership, has emerged victorious. The opposition, which violated all campaign norms have been shown their place by the people."
Gujarat Election Result Analysis: How BJP And Congress Fared - A Comparison Of Vote Shares
The BJP's vote share in Gujarat has slumped sharply since the 2014 general election when it got nearly 60 per cent votes, while that of Congress has improved significantly, but wasn't enough to win the sufficient number of seats needed to form a government.
As per the results declared today by the Election Commission, the BJP has got close to 49.1 per cent votes, down from nearly 60 per cent in 2014 but somewhat higher than nearly 48 per cent it polled in the 2012 state assembly polls. On the other hand, Congress' vote share has risen to about 41.4 per cent this time - up from 33 per cent in the 2014 Lok Sabha elections and also higher than around 39 per cent in the 2012 assembly election.
The difference in vote share between the two parties works out to be around 7.7 per cent, in line with a shrinking gap witnessed since the 2007 assembly election in the state. In 2007, the BJP's vote share was 49.12 per cent as against 39.63 per cent of the Congress, the gap being 9.49 per cent. This gap had reduced to 9 per cent in 2012.
The difference in vote share was nearly 30 per cent in 2014, the year BJP stormed to power at the centre, riding a pan-India 'Narendra Modi wave' and had won all seats from Gujarat. After a complete rout in 2014, the Congress has improved its performance while its seat tally has also improved from the 2012 levels.
As per the results declared today, the independents have scored 4.3 per cent votes in Gujarat, while 1.8 per cent voters opted for NOTA (None of the above). No party other than Congress and the BJP could get even 1 per cent votes.
Gujarat Election Result 2017 - Top Congress Leaders Who Lost The Elections In Gujarat
Shaktisinh Gohil, a top Congress leader in Gujarat, today lost the election from Mandvi seat in Kutch district to BJP's Virendrasinh Jadeja by 9,046 votes. Mr Gohil, a former leader of the opposition in the state Assembly, got 70,423 votes while Mr Jadeja got 79,469. Mr Gohil was an MLA form Abdasa constituency in Kutch, but contested from Mandvi this time. Mr Gohil is one of the spokespersons of the All India Congress Committee.
Another senior Congress leader and former minister in the UPA government Tushar Chaudhary lost the Gujarat seat he was contesting from. He is the son of former Gujarat chief minister Amarsinh Chaudhary. He lost from Mahuva constituency in Surat district by over 6,000 votes. Winner Mohanbhai Dodiya of the BJP got 82,607 votes, while Mr Chaudhary got 76,174.
Gujarat Election Result 2017 - 5 Ministers In Outgoing Government Who Lost Their Gujarat Battles
Five ministers in the Gujarat government lost the Assembly elections today to Congress candidates even as the ruling BJP secured a clear majority to retain power in PM Modi's home state. Of these, Atmaram Parmar and Chimanbhai Sapariya are Cabinet ministers.
- Mr Parmar, a prominent Dalit leader of the BJP, lost to Congress' Pravinbhai Maru in Gadhada (SC) seat in Botad district. Mr Maru scored 69,457 votes against Mr Parmar's 60,033.
- Sapariya went down fighting against Congress' Chiragbhai Kalariya in Jamjodhpur constituency. Mr Kalariya's tally stood at 64,212, while Sapariya ended up clinching 61,694 votes.
- Shankar Chaudhary, Keshaji Chauhan, and Shabdsharan Tadvi are the three Ministers of State who failed to retain their respective seats. Mr Chaudhary lost to Congress' Geniben Thakor. Mr Chaudhary secured 95,673 votes against Ms Thakor's tally of 1,02,328 votes.
- Mr Chauhan failed to win by a narrow margin of 972 votes from Deodar constituency. He was defeated by Shivabhai Bhuriya of the Congress. Mr Bhuriya got 80,432 votes against Mr Chauhan's 79,460.
- Mr Tadvi was uprooted by Congress' Premsinh Vasava in Nandod (ST) seat. Mr Vasava bagged 81,849 votes and Mr Tadvi 75,520.
Gujarat Election Result 2017 - PM Narendra Modi Addresses Party Workers And Supports
- First and foremost, I bow to the people of Gujarat and Himachal Pradesh for kicking our corruption and shunning caste politics.
- Before the Uttar Pradesh election they predicted our doom, and said similar things in Gujarat. But you proved them worn then, and you have proven them wrong again.
- Such predictions don't help anyone, they only hurts the country. These results show that the country is ready for reform, and rewards performance and is keen to be transformed. It shows that the people have rejected divisive and casteist politics and chose development and progress instead.
- Aspirations of India's middle class are really high today. There was a time when people were content with what they had. Today's India walks with new dreams in their eyes, has new hope. And they show that if you don't perform, if you indulge in misdeeds, people won't accept you in five years.
- Gujarat elections are an unprecedented election in BJP's history. Today, if any government returns after 5 years, it is considered a big win in editorials. Any government coming back to power has been a huge event in the last 30 years. Gujarat is unique. It fights 12 elections in a row and it wins all of them. These consecutive victories and that too only based on development and good governance shows a new direction in India's politics.
- For me the Gujarat victory is twice a reason to be happy. Personally, for me it is a reason because after a leader steps away there are all kinds of talk and people are demoralised, but the way BJP workers took control of the state, this for me is a reason for double the happiness. The second, that after me my colleagues spared no effort in the progress of Gujarat.
- There were all kinds of talks before the Gujarat elections. They hatched all kinds of conspiracies, said just make them lose once. They made fun of development and sincere work done over the years. This hadn't happened before.
- Elections come and go in India. Every election is painted in a different way. The truth is, that in May 2014 after the national elections, there has been an environment of development, there has been a hunger for development. Development has become a priority for my government.
- You may not like the BJP, but please do not do anything to derail the country's development. You can celebrate as much as you want after BJP loses, but no matter what the result, don't hurt the country. This government is one that works only for development. The results today endorse that fact.
- Casteism was so prevalent in Gujarat that it took workers like us 30 years to free Gujarat from its clutches. But some people, out of hunger for power, in the last few months tried to sow the seeds of casteism again. But people of Gujarat rejected them, for this they deserve congratulations. However, people of Gujarat will need to be more cautious about divisive politics and caste-based politics from now on. They have to be careful not to fall in that trap.
- 6.5 crore Gujaratis are united, noble and want to go ahead together. I appeal to them to embrace each other and move ahead together. Some people tried to play their games, they are unlikely to stop it now. They will keep trying to divide the people based on castes and religion. So, with the motto of unity, I ask you to walk ahead today, because Gujarat's progress helps the country too.
- Gujarat cannot stay behind in the development of the country. You all have a part to play. Please don't leave anyone behind. Move ahead with the motto of 'sabka saath, sabka vikas'.
- Our party chief's efforts, strategy, and ability to recognise hard work has brought us here. To win in a state continuously since 1989 is a one-of-a-kind thing in the world.
- There is no need to waste time arguing with those who cannot stand the BJP winning. Haters will hate. We should focus on work. We are workers, not haters. Come, lets work hard to realise the dreams of those who fought for our freedom. We may not have got the privilege to be part of India's freedom movement, but lets not waste the chance to work for a great future for India. I want you to repeat after me... Jitega bhai jitega, vikas hi Jitega... This is our motto.
Gujarat Election Result 2017 - PM Modi, Amit Shah Meet; Address BJP Workers And Supporters
(Prime Minister Narendra Modi and BJP chief Amit Shah meet in Delhi to discuss the result of the assembly elections in Gujarat and Himachal Pradesh)
- Say Bharat Mata Ki Jai. Your voice should reach from the mountains of Himachal Pradesh to the shores of Gujarat.
- These wins are not isolated wins. Prime Minister Modi's development and good governance model that he started in 2014 has taken two more steps. In 2014, BJP had 6 CMs, today we have 14 CMs and 19 governments.
- Have got complete majority in Gujarat and 2/3 majority in Himachal Pradesh.
- Congress tried to fan castiest divides in Gujarat, used derogatory words against PM Modi, but this result shows what people think of them.
- This trend will also continue in Tripura, Mizoram, Meghalaya and Karnataka, which go to polls soon.
Gujarat Election Result 2017 - Stats From 2012 Assembly Election
In the 2012 elections, the BJP had won 115 seats while the Congress emerged victorious in 61 seats. The BJP has won every election since 1995 in Prime Minister Narendra Modi's home state.
Gujarat Election Results 2017: Wins And Losses - Political HeavyweightsHere are the results of some of the key contests in Gujarat:
- Among prominent winners were BJP leader and Fisheries Minister Babubhai Bokhiriya, who defeated senior Congress leader Arjun Modhwadia in Porbandar.
- BJP's Suresh Patel held the prestigious Maninagar seat, the former constituency of Prime Minister Modi, by defeating Congress candidate Shweta Brahmbhatt by 75,199 votes.
- In Mahuva seat in Gujarat's Bhavnagar district, BJP's Raghav Makwana defeated independent candidate Kanu Kalsaria.
- The BJP also won the Umbergaon seat in Valsad.
- The Congress won Mahudha seat in Kheda district where its nominee Indrajitsinh Parmar defeated BJP's Bharatsinh Parmar by 13,601 votes.
- Congress' Alpesh Thakor, the face of OBC (Other Backward Classes) community in Gujarat, won in Radhanpur seat against Lavingji Thakor of the BJP.
- Senior Congress leader Shaktisinh Gohil lost against BJP's Virendrasinh Jadeja from Mandvi seat.
- State BJP chief Jitu Vaghani won over Dilipsinh Gohil of Congress in Bhavnagar West.
- Dalit leader Jignesh Mevani won from Vadgam while contesting as an independent with the Congress' support. He defeated BJP's Vijay Chakravarti by over 19,000 votes.
- Congress nominee and Leader of Opposition Mohansinh Rathwa defeated his closest rival Jasubhai Rathwa of the BJP by a narrow margin of 1,093 votes in Chhota Udepur.
- Senior Congress leader Siddharth Patel lost to BJP's Shailesh Mehta in Dabhoi.
- Bhartiya Tribal Party (BTP) chief Chhotu Vasava won by an impressive margin of 48,948 votes over Ravjibhai Vasava of the BJP from the tribal constituency of Jhagadia. BTP is a Congress ally. Mr Vasava has formed the party after breaking away from the Nitish Kumar-led JD(U).
- BJP heavyweight Dilip Sanghani lost to Congress candidate JV Kakadiya in Dhari, Amreli district.
Gujarat Election Result 2017 - Details Of Vote Share And How BJP, Congress Performed In Urban/Rural Centres
The BJP, which has been in power in Prime Minister Narendra Modi's home state uninterruptedly since 1998, had won 115 seats in the last Assembly election in 2012. To form a government in Gujarat, a party or a coalition needs at least 92 seats. The BJP has so far got 49.1 per cent of total votes polled, a slight increase from 48 per cent it had in 2012. The Congress had last time got 39 per cent vote share, which has increased to 41.4 per cent in 2017, according to figures available from the election commission so far. The BJP put up a stellar performance in urban centres, while the Congress got an upper hand in rural areas. Chief Minister Vijay Rupani retained the Rajkot West seat by defeating Congress' Indranil Rajyaguru by over 54,000 votes. Deputy Chief Minister Nitin Patel is also ahead of Congress candidate Jivabhai Patel in Mehsana.
Gujarat Election Result 2017 - BJP Set To Win Gujarat. Details Here.
The BJP is on course to retain power in Gujarat today, but with a reduced margin as it has fought off a resurgent Congress, which is set to increase its tally in the 182-member state Assembly. The BJP has so far won 77 seats and is leading in 21 others, according to the Election Commission website. The Congress, which had won 61 seats in the outgoing Assembly, is set to improve its tally this time, as it has already clinched 70 seats and is leading on seven others. The NCP emerged victorious on one seat, while the Bhartiya Tribal Party won two seats. An independent also won, while two others were leading.
Gujarat Election Result 2017 - Excerpts From Chief Minister Vijay Rupani's Press Conference
(Gujarat Election Result 2017: Chief Minister Vijay Rupani and other party leaders show the victory sign after a press conference where they "accepted victory". The Election Commission is yet officially declare the final results, though the BJP is set for a win for the sixth time)
- I thank people of Gujarat. The credit for the win goes to them. I humbly accept the verdict and congratulate party workers for putting in so much effort.
- The people of Gujarat have expressed faith in the BJP for the sixth time. They have put their faith in development and good governance and rejected caste and divisive politics.
Gujarat Election Result 2017 - BJP Chief Amit Shah Addresses The Media On Election Results
- It is a day of great joy for the BJP. BJP is forming govt both in Himachal and Gujarat.
- I thank the people of Gujarat and Himachal Pradesh for choosing development over caste politics.
- This win is due to hard work of the countless workers of the BJP and PM Modi's pro-people policies.
- Dyansty, casteism and appeasement has lost to development and good governance.
- These results prove country is moving beyond those three evils to politics of performance.
- In Gujarat, we are going to form government for the sixth time.
- The most prominent leaders of Cong have lost because they were trying to divide the people on the basis of religion and caste.
- The Congress' attempt to fight elections through outsourcing has failed.
- The people of Gujarat have reposed their faith on Prime Minister Narendra Modi and rejected the Congress' divisive politics. They have rejected efforts that were made by the Congress to instigate people and divide them on the basis of caste and religion.
- There was an attempt to bring down level of discourse throughout campaign.
- You all can see what happened in Himachal Pradesh, where Congress was in power. The people have rejected them as they wanted to join PM Modi's development yatra.
- BJP has continuously improved its standing in national politics.
- Today BJP has 14 chief ministers and is part of 5 other ruling alliances; governs 19 states across the country.
- Four states are going to polls next. I'm sure that BJP will win under the leadership of Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- For the BJP's vote share to not fall after so many years in Gujarat is a remarkable feat. I would like to thank all the party workers once again. They have worked very very hard throughout.
- The only thing responsible for our fewer seats is the dragging down of the level of discourse and fueling casteism... go ask the ones who did it.
- We were on the receiving end of loose talk and baseless allegations. Can we not respond to such words against the prime minister?
- Yes, I admit we got fewer seats than we hoped. Lowering the level of the campaign will have some effect, wouldn't it? And instigating people on castes? That had its effect on the result.
Gujarat Election Result 2017 - What PM Modi Had To Say About BJP's Performance
Gujarat and Himachal Pradesh have indicated a strong support for politics of good governance and development". He thanked the "hard working" party workers of the BJP and called the performance of the BJP as "impressive victories".
His tweets come at a time when the Congress has made a significant comeback in the last hour to bring down to BJP's nearly 40-seat lead to a mere 13. The BJP has fallen from leading in 110 seats to just 96 now in the 182-seat Gujarat Assembly. The Congress inching closer, currently at 83.
Gujarat Election Result LIVE:
BJP president Amit Shah reaches the party headquarters in Delhi. Will address the media shortly.(BJP chief Amit Shah stands out of his SUV and shows the victory sign to partymen and supporters as he reaches the BJP headquarters in Delhi)
Gujarat Election Result 2017 - Overheard In Congress' Ahmedabad Office As Party Makes Late Comeback
NDTV's Saurabh Gupta, who is reporting from Ahmedabad, says he heard some in the Congress office say, "Haar ke jeetne waale ko baazigar kehte hain" (In this context - Only a magician can turn a loss into his/her win). The Congress, which was trailing the BJP by around 35 seats, has managed to get some last minute gains, narrowing the gap to to just 18 at the moment. BJP leading in 99 seats, Congress in 81.
Gujarat Election Result 2017 Latest Update: Fresh trouble for the BJP as Congress makes a late comeback dragging them below the 100 mark. Latest figures from the Election Commission of India show BJP leading in 98 constituencies (down 17), while the Congress reaches 81 (up 20 seats from 2012)
Gujarat Election Result 2017 - All Eyes On PM Modi, Expected To Address The Media Shortly
It is generally BJP president Amit Shah who holds the press conference after election results are announced, but such is the significance of the Gujarat Assembly election, that Prime Minister Narendra Modi will address the media himself. Though the BJP is looking to get a clear majority in the 182-seat assembly for the fifth consecutive time, unlike the precious election in 2012, a win has not come easy for the BJP.
Congress president Rahul Gandhi, who spearheaded a sharp and aggressive campaign in Gujarat seems to have dented the BJP with his strategy for Gujarat. The Congress is, as of 2:15 pm this afternoon, leading in 17 more seats than its overall tally of 61 from the 2012 elections. BJP, on the other hand, though seeming like getting a majority, is down 13 seats from its 2012 tally.
The BJP headquarters is teeming with energy as party workers and supporters celebrate the win outside the office, but all eyes are set on Prime Minister Narendra Modi, who will address the media shortly and give his views on the Gujarat Assembly election 2017.(Gujarat Election Result 2017: The BJP's headquarters in Delhi is full of party workers and supporters who are celebrating as BJP seems set to win both Gujarat and Himachal Pradesh elections)
Gujarat Election Result LIVE: As BJP look set to get an absolute majority in the Gujarat Assembly, Prime Minister Narendra Modi reaches the BJP Headquarters. He is expected to address a press conference shortly.
Just In: Prime Minister Narendra Modi to reach BJP headquarters in Delhi at 2 pm.
Gujarat Election Result 2017 - Political Heavyweights Vijay Rupani, Alpesh Thakor And Jignesh Mevani Win
Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani, Dalit leader Alpesh Thakor and Patidar leader Jignesh Mevani have all won their seats in the Gujarat Assembly election. While Vijay Rupani won from Rajkot West, Alpesh Thakor won from Radhanpur and Jignesh Mevani won from Vadgam.Gujarat Election Result 2017: (L-R) Alpesh Thakor, Vijay Rupani and Jignesh Mevani have won from their constituencies)
Gujarat Election Result 2017 - Alpesh Thakor And Jignesh Mevani, Big Congress Hopes, Win In Gujarat
Jignesh Mevani and Alpesh Thakor, two key hopes for the Congress in Gujarat, have both won their seats. Mr Mevani, contesting as an independent with support from the Congress, won from Vadgam. Alpesh Thakor, 40, was trailing initially but picked up soon to take a lead in Radhanpur, one of the largest constituencies in Gujarat. Jignesh and Alpesh, along with Hardik Patel - the face of the Patel or Patidar campaign - form the troika that the Congress pinned its hopes on this time. Hardik Patel is the only one who didn't contest; at 24 he is still too young to do so.
The Congress supported Jignesh Mevani, a Dalit leader, by not fielding a candidate against the 35-year-old. Jignesh Mevani's rival Lavingji Thakor was in the Congress earlier but joined the BJP after he was denied a ticket by the Congress.
Yesterday, Jignesh rubbished predictions of a BJP victory and said: "Exit Polls are nonsense. BJP is definitely going to lose this time and will not form the government."
The Congress recruited Alpesh Thakor, a backward caste leader, ahead of the polls to try and win the support of the state's 30 per cent OBCs or Other Backward Castes. During campaigning, Mr Thakor was derided when he suggested that Prime Minister Narendra Modi had glowing skin because he had mushrooms from Taiwan every day.(Gujarat Election Result: Alpesh Thakor and Rahul Gandhi during a rally in Gujarat. The Congress recruited Alpesh Thakor, a backward caste leader, ahead of the polls to try and win the support of the state's 30 per cent OBCs or Other Backward Castes)
Gujarat Election Result: Alpesh Thakor wins from Gujarat's Radhanpur assembly constituency. Jignesh Mevani, who was backed by the Congress also wins from Vadgam.
Gujarat Election Result 2017 - How The Battle For Gujarat Stands After 5 Hours Of CountingGujarat Election Result LIVE:
After a bit of a roller coaster ride in the first two hours, the leads for the Gujarat Assembly election have now more or less settled with BJP leading in 109 seats (up/down 4) out of a total 182. The Congress is leading in 75 seats (up/down 4). Celebrations have begun in the BJP offices across the country, especially in Gujarat and the party headquarters in Delhi. (Gujarat Election Result: The BJP is seen leading in 109 seats as leads stabilise. The Congress, which looked promising this morning, seems to have more or less gained 10 seats compared to 2012, leading in 71 currently)
Watch: BJP's Nalin Kohli Mocks Rahul Gandhi, Says, He "Deserves Credit" For "Consistent" LossesNDTV's Sreenivasan Jain
speaks with BJP spokesperson Nalin Kohli, who, as always, is seen smiling. In a brief chat with NDTV, Mr Kohli spoke about a the BJP's campaign in Gujarat. During his chat, he mocked Congress president Rahul Gandhi for "being consistent".... at losses.
Gujarat Election Result 2017 - BJP Workers And Supporters Begin Celebrations. Here's How
How can any celebration in Gujarat be complete with Dhokla, Khaakra and Faafda... Guess those laddoos are feeling a little out of place on that table. But jokes aside, the BJP, which now looks more or less destined for a comfortable win for the fifth consecutive time in Gujarat, have already begun celebrating this crucial win. They even have the a go-ahead from Prime Minister Modi who, a short while ago, showed the 'V' for victory sign as an acknowledgement of looking set to win the elections in his home state.
With just over a year left for the 2019 general elections, Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his party know the significance of this crucial win for the BJP. The BJP is currently ahead in 108 seats, down 7 from the last elections in 2012, but still looking to form a majority government. Counting is still on and the Election Commission of India will officially declare the results in the next few hours.
Gujarat Election Result 2017 - A Glimpse Into The BJP Office In GandhinagarNDTV
's Sunetra Choudhury
has been at the BJP office in Gandhinagar. Here's a peak at how BJP workers and supporters react as leads suggest a comfortable win for the Bharatiya Janata Party. The BJP is currently leading in 108 of the 182 Assembly constituencies.
Gujarat Election Result 2017 - How The Political Heavyweights Stand At Noon
Gujarat Election Result Latest Update: Among heavyweights, Chief Minister Vijay Rupani, Deputy Chief Minister Nitin Patel and BJP state chief Jitu Vaghani have won. Dalit leader Jignesh Mevani, who was backed by the Congress and Alpesh Thakor, who joined the party weeks before the elections, have also won.
Gujarat Election Result 2017 - Flashing 'V' Sign, PM Modi Sets Off BJP's Gujarat Celebration
As the leads stabilise, giving a clearer picture suggesting a comfortable win for the BJP in Gujarat, Prime Minister Narendra Modi was seen flashing the 'V' sign signalling victory for the BJP. PM Modi smiled and showed the victory sign as he walked into parliament, giving a go ahead to party workers to celebrate yet another BJP win in Gujarat. Should the BJP win (which it clearly looks like), once the election commission declares it officially, it would mean a fifth consecutive term spanning over two decades for the BJP in Gujarat. PM Modi had led a high-voltage campaign to score a fifth straight victory for the BJP. In rally after ally, he stressed on Gujarati pride and targeted the Congress.(Gujarat Election Result: PM Modi smiled and showed the 'V' for victory sign as he entered parliament today as BJP is set to win the Gujarat Assembly election)
Gujarat Election Result 2017 - A Chat With BJP Spokesperson Nalin Kohli
As the BJP takes a comfortable lead of 110 seats out of a total 182, NDTV speaks with BJP spokesperson Nalin Kohli, who, as always, is seen smiling. In a brief chat with NDTV, Mr Kohli spoke about a the BJP's campaign in Gujarat, as well as missing the expectation of party chief Amit Shah, who targetted 150 seats for the BJP. He also speaks about PM Modi, Rahul Gandhi and Congress leader Mani Shankar Aiyar, who had called the prime minister "neech".
Here are the highlights of what Nalin Kohli said about the Gujarat Election result 2017:
NDTV: Leads suggest a win for the BJP, but with a lesser margin than 2012. Would you consider this a setback?
Nalin Kohli: How can a victory be a setback. If you are in power non-stop since 1998, a victory can be anything but a setback. It's a setback for those who claimed they will form govt but lost yet again.
NDTV: But Amit Shah had targeted nothing less than 150 seats for the BJP?
Nalin Kohli: Amit Shah ji is the party chief, he will always set the bar high and push the party workers to ensure that the BJP get the highest numbers possible. There can always be a scenario where we miss that mark. But to call it a setback would not be correct.
NDTV: The campaign in Gujarat saw a very bitter end, especially with allegations against former prime minister Manmohan Singh. That you'd agree is certainly not par for the course.
Nalin Kohli: The campaigns for both parties were aggressive. While you question us on some of what was said, you must also note that what the Congress said on multiple occasions for PM Modi and BJP were also nothing to be proud of. If you use words like "neech", you are no one to set a benchmark.
NDTV: Now that the election is over in Gujarat, would you send a box of sweets to Mani Shankar Aiyar?
Nalin Kohli: Haha.. I wouldn't personally send sweets to Mr Aiyar, but if anyone does, we would not hold a grudge against him for enjoying some sweets.
Gujarat Election Result 2017 - Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani Wins From Rajkot West
Gujarat Election Result Update: Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani, who was trailing for a while as votes were being counted, has won from Rajkot West. Mr Rupani is the first Chief Minister since Narendra Modi to face elections in Gujarat. Rajkot West is a prestige seat for the BJP. Prime Minister Narendra Modi contested the first-ever election of his life from this constituency and won. Rajkot is the financial nerve-centre of the Saurashtra region, where the Congress is seen to have made big gains.
Gujarat Election Result 2017 - Interactive Map Of Gujarat - Try It Out
Gujarat Election Result: Click here
for the most interactive map of Gujarat with every detail and latest stats from the Gujarat
Gujarat Election Results 2017: In Wild Swing, Sensex Recovers After Slumping 850 Points
The Sensex nosedived over 850 points in the early trade today as early leads indicated a close fight between BJP and Congress in Gujarat. The Sensex fell to 32,595 at day's low while Nifty slumped to 10,074. But the Sensex later recovered as the BJP pulled ahead of the Congress. Analysts say that the market had factored in a comfortable win for the BJP in Gujarat polls.
On the day of the Gujarat Election results, here are the latest updates from the markets this morning:
- At 9:45 am, the Sensex had pared most of the losses and was down just 74 points. The Nifty was off 16 points at 10,316.
- Banking stocks which led the initial slump in the index recovered most of the losses. The banking index on BSE was trading 0.14 per cent lower after slumping over 2 per cent at day's low.
- Adani group stocks fell sharply in early trade today but pared most of the losses in later trade.
- HCL Tech, BPCL, HPCL, UPL and UltraTech Cement were among the top losers, down around 1.5 per cent. Among the gainers, Vedanta, Cipla, Adani Ports and GAIL India were up 1-2 per cent.
Gujarat Election Result 2017 - How The Battle For Gujarat Stands After First 2 Hours Of Counting
Figures After First 2 Hours Of Counting: BJP leading in 97 constituencies, Congress leading in 81
Gujarat Election Result LIVE: Two hours into counting of votes, it's a close fight in Gujarat. The BJP is leading in 97 of the key state's 182 seats, the Congress in 85, with the latter gaining in 24 seats that it had lost last time. The BJP is trailing in 18 seats it had won in 2012. Analysts have called the Gujarat election a pivotal moment, a contest important not only for the state but also national politics. A win today will give the BJP added momentum in the run-up to the 2019 national election after its sweep of Uttar Pradesh earlier this year. Today's results will reveal whether the Congress could make any dent in the BJP's traditional vote base of the influential Patel community with its tie-up with 24-year-old Hardik Patel, the face of the Patel or Patidar agitation for reservation in government jobs and colleges.
Gujarat has 182 assembly seats and a party needs 92 or more to form government. The BJP is seeking its fifth consecutive term in the state, having been in power for the last two decades. In 2012, the BJP had won 115 seats and the Congress 61.
Gujarat Election Result 2017 - Markets Tank As Leads Show Congress, BJP Neck And Neck
Breaking News: Sensex slumps over 850 points as early leads indicate tight race between BJP and Congress in Gujarat
Gujarat Election Result 2017 - Performance Of Top Leaders So Far
Latest Updates: Congress' Shaktisinh Gohil trailing by 1,300 votes from Kutch's Mandvi; Chief Minister Vijay Rupani trailing by 800 votes from Rajkot West.
Gujarat Election Result Update: The Congress has suddenly made gains on the BJP. The contest has become very close to call. BJP and Congress are neck and neck at 77 and 76 seats respectively.
Gujarat Election Result Update: The Congress has suddenly made gains on the BJP. The contest has become very close to call. BJP and Congress are neck and neck at 77 and 76 seats respectively.
Gujarat Election Result 2017 - First Reaction From The BJP
"BJP will certainly form the government in BJP. It has been doing so since 1998. There are complete arrangements for celebrations, no need to worry," says Jagdish Bhavsar, BJP spokesperson
Gujarat Election Result 2017 - What The Experts Are Saying
Prannoy Roy says: "Health warning - Nielson, which is doing the numbers for all channels - verified by EC returning officers, says 90% of these first leads are postal ballots. Will have to wait some more for EVM votes"
Gujarat Election Result 2017 - What The Experts Are Saying
Political analyst Ajay Umat says, "It seems to be a close contest in many areas, might even be a photo finish in the end. For the first time I am noticing an anti-incumbency sentiment in Gujarat"
Gujarat Election Result 2017 - Modi Wave 3.0? Early Leads Show BJP Ahead In Gujarat
Early leads show that the BJP have pulled ahead in 55 seats in Gujarat, while the Congress is ahead in 16 as counting of votes began for assembly elections at 8 am. The BJP is gaining in one seat, the Congress is holding seats it had won last time. Analysts have called the Gujarat election a pivotal moment, a contest important not only for the state but also national politics. A big win today for the BJP in Gujarat will, in the run-up to the 2019 national election, add to the momentum that the party got with its sweep of Uttar Pradesh earlier this year. The party hopes it will be Modi Wave 3.0 in Gujarat after the 2014 national election and UP?
Winning Gujarat, his home state, is also a matter of prestige for Prime Minister Narendra Modi. In a bitterly fought battle versus Rahul Gandhi, the Prime Minister made the election more about Gujarati pride and less about issues like development and economic policies raised by the new Congress president.(Gujarat Election Result 2017: Narendra Modi was the face of the BJP campaign in his home state Gujarat)
Gujarat Assembly Election 2017 - Biggest Strengths Of The BJP And CongressGujarat Assembly Election Result 2017:
Here's a look at the biggest strengths of the BJP and Congress in Gujarat
Gujarat Assembly Election 2017 - Caste And Other Swings
24-year-old Hardik Patel, the face of a massive agitation by the influential Patel or Patidar community for reservation in government jobs and colleges, asked his community to vote for the Congress to punish the BJP for not including them in castes that benefit from affirmative action. The Patel swing away from the party is expected to be the BJP's main loss, while its biggest gains are a 10 per cent swing in Scheduled Caste votes and a 25 per cent swing in its favour of tribal votes, a big focus of PM Modi's campaign to make up for any losses from an anti-incumbency sentiment. The Congress' last minute induction of young backward caste or OBC leader Alpesh Thakor is, however, not seen to have helped the party, with OBCs expected to be among the BJP's big strengths in these elections. 47 per cent OBCs are seen to back the BJP, while the party is also likely to score 57 per cent upper caste votes and 57 per cent tribal votes.
Gujarat Assembly Election 2017 - BJP Takes The Early Lead
BJP takes the early lead in Gujarat. First leads show the BJP ahead in 32 of 39 constituencies from where data has come in.
First Leads: BJP leading in 8 seats, Congress in 2. BJP leads in seats from north, central, south Gujarat, as well as Saurashtra. Congress leads in 2 seats in north Gujarat.
Just In: The first lead is already in from Gujarat's Saurashtra. The BJP is leading in a seat it already holds.
Just In: Counting has begun for the Gujarat Assembly election 2017. Leads will be in shortly and the result would be out by the afternoon.
Gujarat Assembly Election Result 2017 - How Many Seats Will BJP Win?
The BJP, an analysis of past exit polls shows, has a 35 per cent chance of getting more than 130 seats, which will be a landslide.(NDTV's poll of exit polls suggest a better chance for the BJP to win the Gujarat Assembly election 2017)
How The Gujarat Election Can Be Won Or Lost
The BJP has a 90 per cent chance of winning its fifth successive term in Gujarat, with the Congress' chance of pulling off an upset a slim 10 per cent, based on an analysis of exit polls and surveys. Votes will be counted for the crucial Gujarat assembly elections from 8 on Monday morning. The state has 182 assembly seats and a party needs to win 92 or more to form government.
The election is seen as a high-stakes battle between Prime Minister Narendra Modi, whose home state is Gujarat, and new Congress president Rahul Gandhi, who is attempting to reverse his party's dismal record in recent state elections. A win for the BJP will give the party great momentum in the run-up to the 2019 national election when PM Modi will seek a second term.
The BJP, an analysis of past exit polls shows, has a 35 per cent chance of getting more than 130 seats, which will be a landslide.(Gujarat Assembly Election Result 2017 LIVE: What exit polls suggest are the chances of victory for the BJP and Congress)
Gujarat Assembly Election 2017 - Hardik Patel And The Demand For Reservations
The Congress extended support to Patidar leader, Hardik Patel in a bid to cash in on the Patidar community's anger. Patidars have lent their support to the BJP for the past two decades, but Mr Patel's sustained agitation in recent times, to demand reservations for the community, have led to this support diminishing. Hardik Patel came into politics on the strength of popular protests. Mr Patel, the founder of the Patidar Anamat Andolan Samiti or PAAS extended support to the Congress after the party said it would address the issue of reservations for the community.(Photo: Hardik Patel, who has been demanding a quota or reservation for Patidars, is believed to have dented the Patidar vote-base of the BJP. He is supporting the Congress for the Gujarat Assembly election)
Gujarat Assembly Election 2017 - The Caste Factor
Both the BJP and the Congress have made efforts to woo the Patidars and Other Backward Classes (OBCs) for this election, as could be seen from the manner of ticket distributions by both parties. The BJP has fielded 50 Patidar candidates while the Congress fielded 41. The Congress has 62 OBC candidates and the BJP has 58. As far as Dalit candidates are concerned, the BJP fielded 13, while the Congress fielded 14.
Before we go ahead and get into the details of the Gujarat Assembly election result, here are some important links that will help you get a detailed and comprehensive coverage of the Gujarat Assembly election result 2017.
Here are some frequently asked questions we thought we'd address ahead of today's counting of votes in Gujarat:
How can I check Gujarat assembly election result 2017 online?
NDTV is covering the Gujarat assembly elections 2017 extensively. You can check out the results here
.Where can I watch live TV coverage on Gujarat assembly election result 2017?
You can watch NDTV's live TV coverage of the Gujarat assembly elections here
.Where can I get the latest information and updates on the Gujarat election results 2017?
You can receive the latest news on the Gujarat election results 2017 here
.How I can compare Gujarat election results 2017 from previous election results 2012?
You can compare the results of the Gujarat assembly elections 2017 with those from the previous assembly polls in 2012 here
.How can I find live constituency wise results online on Gujarat assembly election result 2017?
You can see the live results of every constituency on the Gujarat elections here
.How can I find live party wise results online on Gujarat assembly election result 2017?
You can see NDTV's live party wise results of the Gujarat assembly polls here
.Where can I find vote sharing percentage online on Gujarat assembly election result 2017?
You can see the vote sharing percentage of the Gujarat assembly elections 2017 here
Gujarat Assembly Election 2017 - A Brief Overview
The Gujarat assembly elections 2017 was held in two phases on December 9 and 14. A total of 4.32 crore people were eligible to vote. While 977 candidates fought it out in the first phase, 851 candidates contested in the second phase. Gujarat has 182 assembly seats. The first phase of the Gujarat assembly election saw a voter turnout of 68 per cent, according to the Election Commission, while voter turnout in the second phase was 68.7 per cent. The voter turnout in the 2012 assembly election was 71.3 per cent.
Here's a look at NDTV's poll of exit polls, which give a clear forecast as to which way the election results are headed in the state.(Gujarat Assembly Election Result 2017 LIVE: NDTV's poll of exit polls, an aggregate of 10 exit polls conducted by other networks, predicts the BJP getting 116 seats, which is one more than last time)
The BJP has been ruling in Gujarat for the last two decades and a win today will be significant ahead of the 2019 general elections. An NDTV poll of exit polls (an aggregate of 10 exit polls conducted by other networks) predicts the BJP getting 116 seats in Gujarat (One more than they won in the 2012 assembly elections) with the Congress getting 65 seats (4 more from 2012).
Should you want to catch NDTV's LIVE coverage and in-depth analysis of the Gujarat Assembly election result, please click here
The two-phased elections for 182 seats took place on December 9 and December 14. In the first phase of voting held in Kutch, Saurashtra and south Gujarat saw 66.75 per cent voter turnout. While in the second phase, a voting turnout of 68.7 per cent people was registered. The voter turnout in the 2012 assembly election was 71.3 per cent.
After a high-pitched and bitterly-fought election campaign by the BJP and Congress in Gujarat, all eyes now focus on the Gujarat Assembly election result which will be declared today. Counting of votes will begin at 8 am sharp and early leads could be in within the hour. In unpleasant news for the Congress, exit polls have predicted a comfortable win for the BJP. The election in Gujarat is seen as a prestige battle for both Prime Minister Narendra Modi and newly-elected Congress president Rahul Gandhi. For PM Modi, Gujarat being his home state makes it a must-win battle for the BJP, while for Rahul Gandhi, who is now Congress president, a loss would be seen as a bad start, especially because he was the face of the Congress and spearheaded its campaign and strategy in the state.