Prime Minister Narendra Modi is addressing the nation on the coronavirus pandemic that forced countries to close down borders and implement stringent steps to curb its spread.
Hours before PM Modi's address, the government also urged employees to work from home and said those below 10 and above 65 should not venture outside. Coronavirus cases in India climbed to 173 on Thursday after 18 new cases were reported. To check the spread of coronavirus, which has claimed over 8,000 lives globally and infected more than two lakh, India had already suspended visas for the vast majority of foreigners seeking to enter the country. No international flights will be allowed to land in India from Sunday for a week, the government announced today escalating measures to fight coronavirus.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi is addressing the Nation on coronavirus outbreak. Here are the Highlights
- PM Modi begins his address to the nation amid global coronavirus crisis
- PM Modi on coronavirus pandemic: "The world is passing through a huge crisis, more countries affected than World War 1 and 2"
- 130 crore Indians have faced the corona scare. Every Indian has tried to adopt precautionary measures. But in the past few days, it seems we have evaded the crisis. The thought that we are safe from the pandemic is not correct. We all Indians need to be satark.
- Whenever I have asked something from you, you have never let me down. Today I am here to ask something from you. I want a few weeks from you. I want your time in the upcoming times. There's no cure for corona globally. There are no vaccines available. In countries where corona has had a massive impact, it seems the virus exploded after the initial days.
- India is tracking everything that is happening in the world. Some countries have detected and isolated their citizens to curb the spread. The role of their citizens was massive in those countries.
- The growing challenge of the corona is not a simple thing. It is wrong to assume that there will be no impact on India. Need to follow 2 things: Resolve and Restraint.
- Please stay indoors over the next few weeks unless absolutely necessary, says PM Modi.
- Appealing to the people to follow social distancing, PM Modi says caution must be practiced to ensure that all of us are safe from contracting the coronavirus infection. He calls for avoiding all non-essential outings.
- PM Modi calls for a 'Janata Curfew', on this Sunday which he says would mean a curfew imposed by the people on themselves in order to prevent the spread of the disease.
- "On that day, at 5 pm, we will stand at our balconies, windows or doors for 5 minutes, we will show our gratitude to those maintaining essential services by ringing bells, sounding sirens, clapping or clanging utensils," he said.