"In 2017, China-India relations have maintained a good momentum generally but the Doklam incident posed a major test for the two countries. We should learn lessons from this incident to avoid any further conflict of this kind in the future," Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Hua Chunying was quoted as saying by news agency Press Trust of India. "We should follow our historical conventions on the border to uphold the tranquility and peace in the border region," he added.
Later this week, the 20th round of India-China border talks are expected to be held in Delhi between National Security Advisor Ajit Doval and China's State Councillor Yang Jiechi. Though the talks - officially the first since the stand-off - are scheduled for December 22, an official announcement is yet to be made from both sides.
Mr Hua said Doklam also figured during Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi's talks with Union minister Sushma Swaraj. The Chinese minister was in Delhi recently to take part in the meeting of the foreign ministers of Russia, India and China.
The Chinese Army had earlier asked India to draw lessons from Doklam. "We remind India to draw lessons from the standoff... and work with China to safeguard peace and stability along the border," Wu Qian, a senior officer of the People's Liberation Army had said in August, days after the stand-off ended.
The stand-off in Doklam - an uninhabited area claimed by both China and Bhutan - had started in mid-June. Indian troops had intervened when China had started building a road in the area as it would have given Beijing access to Chicken's Neck, a strategic wedge of land that links mainland India to its northeastern region.
With inputs from PTI