- Soy based food can regulate cholesterol levels
- Soy-based foods are a great source of polyunsaturated fat
- Soy-based foods can help in losing weight
Women who are undergoing menopause tend to have weaker bones. They are more prone to conditions like osteoporosis, weight gain and decreased physical activity. According to an animal study conducted by researchers from University of Missouri, soy protein in food has the ability to counter the negative effects of menopause and its affects on bone and metabolic health. Protein in soy can also be helpful in strengthening bones in women who have not yet reached menopause. ANI reports Pamela Hinton, Professor of nutrition and exercise physiology as saying that findings of the study suggest that menopausal women can have stronger bones by including soy-based whole foods in their diet. Instance of soy-based foods include tofu, soy milk, soy beans etc.
As part of the study, effects of soy and corn-based diets were studies on rats which were bred selectively to have lower fitness levels. It was found that tibia bones of rats that were fed with soy protein were stronger as compared to rats which were fed with corn-based diet. This was irrespective of the status of their ovarian hormones.
The researchers found that the tibia bones of the rats that were fed soy were stronger compared to the rats who were fed the corn-based diet, regardless of ovarian hormone status. Moreover, they found that the soy-based diet also improved the metabolic function of the rats both with and without ovaries.
Here are other benefits of soy-based foods you cannot miss
1. Soy may contribute to reduction in LDL (bad) cholesterol in the body. It can thus be beneficial for heart health.
2. Eating soy is a great way to increase plant-based protein in your diet. It can be a great source of protein for vegetarians and vegans. Soy protein can also contribute to regulating blood pressure.
3. Soy foods are low in saturated fats as compared to animal protein.
Also read: Here's Why Soy Sauce Is Bad For You
4. Eating soy-based foods can increase your fibre intake. Eating foods rich in fibre can promote weight loss and improve gastrointestinal health. Soy-rich foods such green soybeans, soy nuts and soy flour can increase your intake of fibre.
5. Soy-based foods are a great source of polyunsaturated fat. This is considered to be good fat beneficial for heart health.
Also read: 7 Proven Health Benefits Of Soy Milk
6. Soy-based foods are rich in omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3 fatty acids can reduce risk of cardiovascular diseases.
7. Soy-based foods are rich in B-vitamins, iron, zinc and antioxidants.
8. They are a good source of isoflavones phytochemicals. These phytochemicals prevent bone loss in menopausal women.
Get Breaking news, live coverage, and Latest News from India and around the world on NDTV.com. Catch all the Live TV action on NDTV 24x7 and NDTV India. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram for latest news and live news updates.