Maruti strike affected his salary, wife committed suicide

Maruti strike affected his salary, wife committed suicide
Gurgaon: A call centre manager, whose husband is an officer with auto makers Suzuki, committed suicide allegedly after a fight over domestic finances. Her husband was apparently not getting his salary in the wake of the continuing strike in Maruti Suzuki India Ltd's Manesar plant, police said.

Ritu Sharma, 27, was working with GE Money. She allegedly consumed a poisonous substance, police said. She has left a suicide note blaming no one for her extreme step.

Ritu, associate manager with a BPO, was living with her husband Vikram in a rented accommodation in Sector 40 of this Haryana town, a suburb of Delhi.

Ritu's parents stay in Delhi's Sagarpur area, while Vikram belongs to Haryana's Bhiwani district. He works in one of the three plants of Suzuki in Gurgaon as assistant manager sales (planning).

"Vikram was without salary possibly due to the on-going strike in Maruti Suzuki India Limited (MSIL) Manesar plant," said Rakesh, a relative.

Anil Munjal, vice president Suzuki Motorcycles, the employer company, refused to comment on the issue.

"The couple had some dispute regarding earning and expenses with regard to their salaries. On Monday night they had a spat on the same issue, after which Ritu consumed some poisonous substance," said investigative officer Pawan Kumar.

Ritu had been working with the BPO for the past five years. Vikram, 30, marred Ritu on November 23, 2010.

Murari Lal, the father of the woman, told the police, "After their marriage the couple was very happy. I don't know how and when their problems occurred. Even yesterday, when I met Ritu, she was happy and didn't show any sign of taking this extreme step."

Police found a one-page suicide note in which Ritu had written: "I am ending my life and no one is responsible for that."

The officer said: "We have registered a case against Vikram under IPC 306 for forcing someone to commit suicide. No arrest has been made so far. After the autopsy, the body has been handed over to Ritu's parents. The viscera has been sent to the forensic laboratory and a handwriting expert's report is awaited."

"We are investigating the case thoroughly and looking at the possibility of foul play," said Deputy Commissioner of Police (East) Maheshwar Dayal.
More News