- New mothers are required to pay heed to their dietary needs
- Eating nutritious meals for first few days after delivery is important
- Experts advise new mothers to stay away from spicy foods
- Ghee or clarified butter makes for one the most important ingredients to boost energy. Moreover, vegetable oils contain unsaturated fats that help control your cholesterol levels, unlike saturated fats. Switching to olive oil and canola oil that are rich in monounsaturated fats will help reduce the bad cholesterol or LDL.
- Whole grains including quinoa, oatmeal, whole wheat, brown rice, barley, dalia and millet rice are some of the foods that provide energy and contain high amounts of fiber that helps in keeping the gut healthy. They also help in keeping your lipid levels in check and reduce the risk of weight gain.
- Post pregnancy, new mothers should add some extra amount of protein to their diet. You can include egg, fish, nuts, seeds, dairy products and legumes to meet your daily protein intake.
- Calcium intake is important as new mothers are required to breastfeed their baby. Consume dairy products, broccoli, beans and lentils, nuts and leafy greens to gain more calcium content.
- Vegetables and fruits should have an important place in your post-delivery diet. They are great sources of vitamins, minerals and other phytonutrients essential for you and your baby.
Apart from these foods, it is important to indulge in mild exercise at least for 15 minutes to ensure physical activity during this period.