A new study, published in the journal Circulation, suggests that people with higher levels of thyroid hormone in the blood are more likely to develop irregular heartbeat. Irregular heartbeat or atrial fibrillation is a condition that occurs when the two upper chambers of the heart beat irregularly and faster than the normal rate. The most common symptoms of this condition include heart palpitations, dizziness, sweating, chest pain and anxiety. It can also cause stroke and heart failure and is potentially associated with lifelong disability and even death.
- Add more protein to your diet
- Have a lot of foods that are good for your gut
- Healthy fats are required by the body to maintain hormonal balance
For the study, the team analysed data from 11 studies from Europe, Australia, and the United States, including 30,085 individuals, that measured thyroid function and the occurrence of irregular heartbeat. The findings showed that individuals with higher blood levels of thyroid hormone - free thyroxine or FT4 - had a 45 per cent increased risk of suffering from irregular heartbeat, compared to people with the lowest levels. Elevated FT4 levels may also indicate hyperthyroidism, and other thyroid problems, such as thyroiditis or toxic multinodular goiter.
There are some nutrients that you can derive from the food you eat which help the thyroid gland function effectively. Nutritionist Shilpa Arora suggets some diet tips to heal your thyroid gland naturally.
1. Add more protein to your diet. Protein transports the thyroid hormone to all your tissues and thus helps your thyroid function effectively. You can include foods like eggs, nuts, seeds, fish and legumes in your diet.
2. Iodine is a trace mineral that plays a critical role in the formation of the primary thyroid hormone thyroxine. You can derive iodine from seafood.
3. Have a lot of foods that are good for your gut. Take probiotics or have home-made yogurt regularly. 20% of thyroid function depends on a good gut ecology.
4, Eat fat. Healthy fats are required by the body to maintain hormonal balance. Desi ghee, nuts, coconut oil, flaxseeds, and oily fish like salmon are good options for healthy fats.
5. Include dairy products like eggs and milk in your diet. Eggs are full of selenium and iodine.
Prevention is better than cure and a healthy diet can go a long way in maintaining a healthy body and a healthy mind.
Inputs from IANS