- Add more protein to your diet
- Have a lot of foods that are good for your gut
- Healthy fats are required by the body to maintain hormonal balance
For the study, the team analysed data from 11 studies from Europe, Australia, and the United States, including 30,085 individuals, that measured thyroid function and the occurrence of irregular heartbeat. The findings showed that individuals with higher blood levels of thyroid hormone - free thyroxine or FT4 - had a 45 per cent increased risk of suffering from irregular heartbeat, compared to people with the lowest levels. Elevated FT4 levels may also indicate hyperthyroidism, and other thyroid problems, such as thyroiditis or toxic multinodular goiter.
There are some nutrients that you can derive from the food you eat which help the thyroid gland function effectively. Nutritionist Shilpa Arora suggets some diet tips to heal your thyroid gland naturally.
1. Add more protein to your diet. Protein transports the thyroid hormone to all your tissues and thus helps your thyroid function effectively. You can include foods like eggs, nuts, seeds, fish and legumes in your diet.
2. Iodine is a trace mineral that plays a critical role in the formation of the primary thyroid hormone thyroxine. You can derive iodine from seafood.
3. Have a lot of foods that are good for your gut. Take probiotics or have home-made yogurt regularly. 20% of thyroid function depends on a good gut ecology.
5. Include dairy products like eggs and milk in your diet. Eggs are full of selenium and iodine.
Prevention is better than cure and a healthy diet can go a long way in maintaining a healthy body and a healthy mind.
Inputs from IANS
Get the latest election news, live updates and election schedule for Lok Sabha Elections 2019 on ndtv.com/elections. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram for updates from each of the 543 parliamentary seats for the 2019 Indian general elections.