According to UGC, the institutions will also be required to conduct sensitisation seminars and awareness programmes on responsible conduct of research, project work, assignment, thesis, dissertation, promotion of academic integrity and ethics in education for students, faculty and other members of academic staff.
"The draft directs every higher education institute to instruct students, faculty, and staff about proper attribution, seeking permission of the author wherever necessary, acknowledgement of source compatible with the needs and specificities of disciplines and in accordance with rules and regulations governing the source," a senior official told PTI.
UGC Suggestions to curb plagiarism
In its draft policy, UGC has come out with these suggestions to curb plagiarism in Higher Education Institutions (HEIs):
- Every HEI shall declare and implement the technology based mechanism using appropriate software so as to ensure that documents such as thesis, dissertation, term papers, reports, publications or any other such documents are free of plagiarism at the time of their submission.
- Every student submitting a thesis, dissertation, term papers, reports or any other such documents to the HEI shall submit an undertaking indicating that the document has been prepared by him or her and that the document is his/her original work and free of any plagiarism.
- Every faculty, researcher and M.Phil/Ph.D students should be provided account in plagiarism detection tools for checking the content of their scripts.
- The undertaking shall include the fact that the document has been duly checked through a Plagiarism detection tool approved by the HEI.
- Each supervisor shall submit a certificate indicating that the work done by the researcher under him / her is plagiarism free.
- All HEIs shall submit to INFLIBNET soft copies of all M.Phil., Ph.D. dissertations and theses carried out in its various departments after the award of degrees for hosting in the digital repository under the "Shodh Ganga e-repository" programme.
- All HEIs shall create Institutional Repository on institute website which shall include dissertation / thesis / paper / publication and other in-house publications.
(With Inputs from PTI)
Click here for more Education News