The approximate value, generally used in calculations, of Pi is 3.14. Another value of Pi used by students is 22/7.
- Pi day was first recognized 30 years ago in 1988 by Physicist Larry Shaw. For those who follow mm/dd format for date, March 14 represents the approximate value of Pi.
- In 2015, after 100 years the date matched the first five digits of Pi that is 3/14/15.
- Pi is an irrational number, that is, when calculated it can go on forever.
- Computing Pi is considered to be a stress test for computers almost like a 'digital cardiogram'.
- The first million decimal places of pi consist of 99,959 zeros, 99,758 1s, 100,026 2s, 100,229 3s, 100,230 4s, 100,359 5s, 99,548 6s, 99,800 7s, 99,985 8s, and 100,106 9s.
- Leonardo Da Vinci and artist Albrecht Durer have also briefly worked on finding the approximate value of Pi.
- Isaac Newton who is also the father of Calculus, calculated the value of Pi to at least 16 decimal places.
- The official celebration for Pi day begin at 1:59 pm, to make an appropriate 3.14159 when combined with the date.
- Albert Einstien was born on Pi Day in 1879.
- John Donne in his poem "Upon the Translations of the Psalms by Sir Philip Sidney, and the Countess of Pembroke, His Sister" condemned the attempts to find an exact value of pi which he viewed as an attempt to rationalize God.
Click here for more Education News
Get the latest election news, live updates and election schedule for Lok Sabha Elections 2019 on ndtv.com/elections. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram for updates from each of the 543 parliamentary seats for the 2019 Indian general elections.