News FlashMurli Deora dies: Former Union Minister and senior Congress leader Murli Deora dies. Share:

After killing five Indian jawans, Pakistan violates ceasefire for the third time in 48 hours

After killing five Indian jawans, Pakistan violates ceasefire for the third time in 48 hours

The bodies of the five Indian soldiers, who were killed earlier this week

Srinagar Less than a week after killing five soldiers from the Indian Army in an ambush at the Line of Control in Jammu and Kashmir, Pakistan has reportedly violated the ceasefire agreement thrice in the last 48 hours. The latest firing incident took place today in the Mendhar district of Jammu and Kashmir where five Indian Army posts were attacked. According to reports, firing from small arms and automatic weapons is still on.

Earlier today, a jawan from the Border Security Force (BSF) was injured in the firing by Pakistani troops in the Kanachak sector of the Kashmir Valley.

"There was sniper firing from Pakistani side this morning along the international border (IB) at Alfa Machial Border Out Post (BOP) area in Jammu frontier ," a senior BSF officer said.

Yesterday, both sides exchanged fire for around seven hours.

"Pakistan fired over 7000 rounds of heavy ammunition besides mortar shells on Indian posts during the seven-and-a-half-hour firing in Poonch," a Defence spokesperson said yesterday, adding that it was "biggest ceasefire violation" in recent times. No causalities were however reported.

On the intervening night between Monday and Tuesday, Pakistani troops ambushed a patrol party of the Indian Army, killing five soldiers, and injuring a sixth one in the Poonch sector, 200 km south of Srinagar.

At a rally in Delhi's Ramlila grounds today, BJP president Rajnath Singh urged the government to take appropriate steps and suspend all talks with Pakistan.

"Pakistan has crossed all limits. The attacks at the Line of Control can be prevented if the government takes the right steps. The Prime Minister should announce no talks will take place with Pakistan," Mr Singh said today.

The killing of the soldiers created a huge uproar in Parliament with Defence Minister AK Antony, in a second statement, stating the attacks were carried out by specialised troops from Pakistan. His first statement absolved the Pakistani army, saying the attack was carried out by militants. His statement was in contradiction with the one issued by the Defence Ministry, leading to widespread criticism, especially by the BJP.
Story First Published: August 11, 2013 13:08 IST

................................ Advertisement ................................

................................ Advertisement ................................