Beirut: Syrian air strikes and shelling killed 25 civilians in eastern districts of Syria's Aleppo on Thursday, a monitor said, on the third day of a wide-ranging regime assault on rebel-held areas.
The bombardment hit at least six rebel-held neighbourhoods, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights monitoring group said.
At least 65 civilians have been killed in east Aleppo since the start of the regime offensive on Tuesday, the Observatory said.
The renewed bombardment has shattered a month of relative calm in the devastated east of the divided northern city.
An Agence-France Presse correspondent in the eastern districts said the sounds of dropping barrel bombs had been heard since 10 AM.
The correspondent said that one of the air strikes targeted a civil defence centre in the Bab al-Nayrab neighbourhood with no reported casualties.
Once Syria's economic powerhouse, Aleppo has been roughly divided into a regime-controlled west and a rebel-held east since 2012.
The city has been ravaged by a civil war that has killed more than 300,000 people since it started in March 2011 with anti-government protests.