Monitor lizards are venomous, and though their bites are not fatal to humans, they are definitely painful and can lead to illnesses.
"The lizard was found around 11:30 AM on 16th May on the third floor," a member of the college-run newspaper, The Alliance, told NDTV, adding that a severe storm the night before had probably brought the reptile to the building's terrace.
The room it first entered was next to the terrace, and the occupants of that room were the first to see the monitor lizard.
Administrative authorities were informed about the unwelcome visitor and hostel inmates were asked to stay in their rooms till wildlife personnel arrived. The lizard was drugged and taken away from the hostel.
The Alliance employee told NDTV that this is the first time a lizard like this has been spotted on campus, though sightings of snakes are not uncommon as the NSIT campus is located in a wooded area.
Click for more trending news
Get Breaking news, live coverage, and Latest News from India and around the world on NDTV.com. Catch all the Live TV action on NDTV 24x7 and NDTV India. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram for latest news and live news updates.