Vodafone added: "4G SIM kits are placed in the dispensers of these cabs with instructions for commuter who sits in the cab and wishes to upgrade their SIM."
Commenting on the development, Alok Verma, business head (Delhi-NCR), said, "Since the launch of 4G services in Delhi last year, we have witnessed a tremendous shift in usage to 4G data from 2G & 3G data. To experience this world class 4G network, it's essential that our consumers upgrade their 3G SIMs to 4G SIMs, and this tie-up is a unique intervention to make this process mobile and within easy reach of our consumers."
How to upgrade to a new 4G SIM:
* After proper identification process and 4G-enabled handset compatibility check, you will receive the new 4G-SIM card.
* To activate the card, use your existing Vodafone number to send an SMS in the prescribed format to 55199: 'SIMEX <your 19-20 digit new 4G SIM card number>' (This number will be available on the new SIM card/jacket given to you)
* You will receive a response SMS from 55199 with the partial SIM number entered
* Please send the last 6 digits of the new SIM number to 55199 within 2 hours of receiving the SMS mentioned in the above step
* You will receive a success SMS, post which your 4G-Ready SIM will be activated within 5-10 minutes.
* Subsequently, replace your old SIM in the handset with the new 4G-Ready SIM and continue to enjoy uninterrupted Vodafone services
Customers facing any issues with the SIM exchange process can call 199 or seek assistance from Vodafone staff at any of its retail stores, the telecom operator further said.
As part of this activity, Vodafone is also planning demos in cabs, where an executive will be there to help in solving customer queries. Subscribers can also walk up to cabs and ask the driver for 4G SIMs.