Soldier Killed In Terror Attack On Army Camp In Jammu's Sunjuwan

Sunjuwan Army camp attack: It is believed to be a fidayeen attack by Jaish-e-Mohammed terrorists, the first such attack in Jammu this year, police said

The police and the Army have located the terrorists and the operation is underway.


  • 2 terrorists stormed family quarters at Sunjwan Army camp in Jammu
  • Four people, including an officer and his daughter were injured
  • The firing has stopped and the area has been cordoned off
Jammu and Kashmir: At least two terrorists entered the Sunjuwan Army camp in Jammu and Kashmir early this morning and opened fire, killing a soldier and injuring six others, including civilians, the Army has said. The terrorists managed to enter the family quarters in the camp, says the Army, adding the attack has been contained and operations are still in progress.

The residential quarters housed women and children as well. All the families have been evacuated. Schools within 500 metres of the camp have been asked to stay closed. Heavy security has been deployed at all entry and exit points. The police have also created an outer cordon.

Home Minister Rajnath Singh has spoken to top officers and is closely monitoring the situation. Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti offered her condolences on Twitter. "Deeply disturbed by the terrorist attack in Sunjwan today. My heart goes out to the injured and their families," she tweeted.

Former Chief Minister Omar Abdullah also tweeted about the attack.
It is believed to be a fidayeen (suicide) attack by Jaish-e-Mohammed terrorists, the first such attack in Jammu this year, police said. The military station, spread over many acres, lies in the heart of Jammu city along the Jammu-Pathankot highway. It has residential quarters as well as schools inside. The terrorists reportedly used the rear end to enter the camp.

"It's not clear how many terrorists entered the camp and how did they manage to do that," a senior police officer said.

There were intelligence inputs about possible attacks in the state, and security forces were alert, but there was no specific information that the terrorists would strike this station in Jammu. The terrorists seem prepared for a long haul, the Army says, and it may take long to flush them out as there are many residential pockets around the camp and the forces don't want any collateral damage in the operation.

Suicide attackers had targeted the same army station in 2003. Twelve soldiers had lost their lives and seven others were injured.

This is the second big suicide attack by Jaish terrorists this year. Five security personnel were killed when a group of Jaish terrorists launched an attack on a Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) training centre in Pulwama on January 1. They threw grenades and opened fire before breaching the perimeter of the training centre.