President Ram Nath Kovind addressed the nation today on the eve of the 70th Republic Day. The president began by conveying his heartfelt wishes to people and said the day was an opportunity to remember the ideals of democracy. He said all all citizens of the country have the opportunity to place their faith in the ideals of freedom, equality and brotherhood. All citizens have an equal right to the resources of the nation, irrespective of what community and region they belong to, he added.
Here are the highlights of President Ram Nath Kovind's address:
- This year is especially important for our Republic. On October 2, we celebrate the 150th anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi. It is an opportunity to deeply understand, adopt and implement his ideals.
- Our nation is at a crucial stage at this time. The decisions of today will determine the future of India.
- This year, we have an important role to play--exercising our franchise in the Lok Sabha elections.
- Plurarity is our greatest strength. India's success is a precedent for the whole world.
- By focussing on social justice and economic ethics, we have given inclusive development a broad foundation.
- Our national has come a long way but we have to go further. We have to set new norms of goals and achievements.
- We have to build a society that recognises the competence and talent of our sons and daughters alike.
- Our culture, tradition, and ideals give very high importance to public service. We have always had respect for individuals and institutions dedicated to public service.
- As bearers of constitutional ideals, we will definitely succeed in achieving the goals of our republic.