Here are the highlights of PM Narendra Modi's Mann ki Baat speech:
- Those who take the law in their hands or take to violence will not be spared, no matter who they are.
- India is the land of Mahatma Gandhi and Lord Buddha. Violence is not acceptable in the nation, in any form.
- On one hand we await our festivals but on the other hand, when we hear about instances of violence, it is natural to be worried.
- While talking about festivals, I want to say - Micchami Dukkadam. This is about values of forgiveness and compassion.
- India is a diverse nation. Unity in diversity is our strength. Our diverse culture is not limited to the food we eat or the clothes we wear, or the way we live... One can see a unique way of life in every nook and corner of India. Even our festivals and the different ways we celebrate it are something to cherish. The true beauty of diversity can be found in India.
- Our festivals are linked with nature and welfare of farmers. The Jain Community celebrated the Samvatsari Parva yesterday. We have been hearing and saying Ahimsa ParmoDharmah from our Childhood. Let us make our festivals as much about cleanliness.
- Speaking on the Swachh Bharat Abhiyan, PM Narendra Modi says that till now over 2.30 lakh villages have declared as open-defecation free.
- I request you all to join the movement towards a clean India. Let us take a pledge this Gandhi Jayanti (Oct 2) that we will make cleanliness and hygiene not just a part of our lives, but the very way we live. Let us all join hands in the run up to October 2 by spreading the word about cleanliness... clean our neighbourhoods and localities... and ensure that they are kept clean. It is not a one-time exercise. It is an ongoing process. Serving the people is the path to serving the lord... I request you all to get involved in the cleanliness drive.
- It is important to trust our citizens. We have to trust the poor of India.
- Violence in the name of faith will not be tolerated. Whether it is the faith based on community, political ideology, individual or tradition.
- PM Narendra Modi conveys his best wishes to 6 officers of the Indian navy, going to circumnavigate the globe on the sailing vessel INSV Tarini.
- Sports Ministry has developed a sports portal for budding sportspersons. It will be launched tomorrow.
- India welcomes all teams coming here for the FIFA U-17 World Cup.
- We celebrate 5th September as Teachers Day. I salute Dr. Radhakrishnan ji. It is the supreme art of the teacher to awaken joy in creative expression and knowledge.
Get the latest election news, live updates and election schedule for Lok Sabha Elections 2019 on ndtv.com/elections. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram for updates from each of the 543 parliamentary seats for the 2019 Indian general elections.