Prime Minister Narendra Modi today pitched for launching a "new mass movement" against single-use plastic from October 2, the birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi. In his monthly radio address "Mann ki Baat", the prime minister said when the country observes the 150 birth anniversary of the Father of the Nation, "we will launch a new mass movement against use of plastic". PM Modi also spoke on his recent appearance in ManvsWild, a widely-popular show on Discovery Channel. This is his third radio address since he was re-elected for a second term in May. In his first episode of "Mann Ki Baat" on June 30 after the Lok Sabha election, PM Modi discussed various topics like emergency, water crisis and International Yoga Day.
In the second address, aired a week before special status was scrapped from Jammu and Kashmir, he had said "those who spread hatred will never succeed in their nefarious plans".
Here are the highlights of PM Modi's Mann Ki Baat address:
- Yesterday, the entire country celebrated the birth of Lord Krishna on the auspicious day of Janmashtami. One can find answers to today's problems in the life of Shri Krishna.
- India is preparing for a mega festival and the world is talking about it- October 2nd, the 150th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi. The spirit of service has been an inseparable part of Mahatma Gandhi's life.
- Gandhi Ji focused on community service and community mobilisation. Do visit places associated with Gandhi Ji and share experiences with others.
- When we celebrate Mahatma Gandhi's 150th anniversary we'll not only be dedicating to him an open defecation free India but also kick starting a mass movement for making India plastic free.
- Let birth anniversary of Gandhi Ji serve as an inspiration for all of us to curb single-use plastic.
- This year `Swachhata Hi Sewa' fortnight will begin on September 11.
- Balanced and nutritious food is essential for all, especially for women and infants as they are the foundation of society's future.
- When I was thinking about Mann Ki Baat this time, I knew there will be questions on Man vs Wild (the show in which PM Modi featured along with show host Bear Grylls.)
- A lot of people wanted to know how Bear Grylls understood my Hindi. People asked whether it was edited or shot multiple times. Technology acted as bridge between me and him. A cordless device attached to his ear translated Hindi into English simultaneously.
- People should always visit places associated with nature and wildlife
- A tiger summit was held in 2010 in St. Petersburg in Russia.Concerns were raised in the summit on dwindling tiger population and a resolve was made to double the number of tigers by 2022.
- We are going to launch 'Fit India Movement' in the country.