New Delhi: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had asked ministers to declare their assets as also those of their spouses and dependents along with any business interest. The details of the assets have been put on the PMO's website.
The declaration of the assets is as per an annual exercise. The ministers were asked to furnish the details by August 31 in accordance with the Code of Conduct for Ministers. The responses were received and have been compiled.
In a June 2 letter to ministers, the then Cabinet Secretary K M Chandrasekhar had written "I have been directed by the Prime Minister to apprise you of the declarations required to be made by a member of the Union Council of Ministers in accordance with the Code of Conduct for Ministers."
He further wrote "in this connection, I am to inform you that in terms of the Code of Conduct details in respect of assets, liabilities, business interests, conduct and management of any other business and employment of spouse and dependents under a foreign government or organisation are required to be disclosed by the Members of the Union Council of Ministers."
Here is the list given below:
- Prime Minister Manmohan Singh: Fixed deposits with SBI - Rs 2.7 crore, House in Chandigarh worth Rs 90 lakh, flat in Vasant Kunj, Delhi worth Rs 88 lakh.
- Home Minister P Chidambaram: He had his wife are worth over Rs 20 crore. But what is interesting is that though he is always seen in his official car he has a Volkswagon, Skoda, Ford Fiesta and Kinetic Honda. He has also declared the worth of his treadmill.
- Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee: He and his wife have 10 properties between them including a house in Greater Kailash. Their collective asset is worth Rs 3 crore.
- Telecom Minister Kabil Sibal: Immovable assets 16.25 crore, bank deposits: 65 lakh, investments in shares: 40 lakh, jewellery: 20 lakh, other assets: 4.75 crore (approximately)
- Former IT Minister Dayanidhi Maran: Assets worth Rs 2.94 crore. He and his wive have shares in RIL, Reliance Communications, RNRL and DK Enterprises.
- Petroleum Minister Murli Deora: He and his wife have a combined asset worth Rs 15.2 crore. His wife runs two companies and a proprietorship firm.
- Foreign Minister SM Krishna: Immovable assets 2.34 lakh, movable assets 4.81 lakh, investments 3 lakh, and savings 12 lakh. His wife's assets are approximately Rs 21 lakh.
- Development Minister Kamal Nath: He has declared assets worth Rs 263 crore. These assets make him the richest minister in the UPA II cabinet. Sources close to the minister say that it is the combined assets of his sons, their wives, and their companies.
- Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar: Assets worth over Rs 12 crore. That includes deposits and shares in various companies. Unlike Kamal Nath the assets only include his and his wife's wealth.
- Defence Minister AK Antony: His list is the shortest as he declares that he has no property and it is his wife that has a house and Wagon R car in Kerala. Their total assets are just two lakh rupees.
(With PTI inputs)