PM Narendra Modi spoke in the Lok Sabha (file)
Prime Minister Narendra Modi spoke in the debate on the no-trust motion in the Lok Sabha today. PM Modi's speech came amid calls by the opposition for his statement on the Manipur ethnic violence.
Here are the top quotes from PM Narendra Modi's Lok Sabha speech:
- I have heard every MP's opinion... India has reposed its faith in us time and again... I take it as God's blessing that the opposition brought the no-confidence motion. It happened in 2018 as well. Even then I had said, the motion is not a floor test of our government but theirs.
- When voting happened, they fell short. When we went to the public, the people announced their no-confidence in them. The NDA and BJP got more votes. In a way, the opposition's no-confidence motion is lucky for us. You have decided that the NDA (National Democratic Alliance) and the BJP will return with a massive mandate.
- You (opposition) are not worried about the hunger of the poor, you are only worried about power. You are not worried about the youth's future, but only about your future.
- Fielding was set by the opposition, but fours and sixes were hit from here. We kept hitting centuries, they kept bowling no balls. I gave you five years to come back to power. What didn't you prepare?
- The leader of the largest opposition party was not listed as a speaker. Sharad Pawar led the 1999 no-confidence motion. Sonia Gandhi in 2003. But this time look at what happened to Adhir Chowdhury? His party didn't let him speak.
- I don't know what's your compulsion. Why was Adhir Chowdhury sidelined? Maybe, a call came from Kolkata. We are completely sympathetic to Adhir Chowdhury.
- They (opposition) can't hear anything good about the country.
- A NITI Aayog report said in the last few years,
- In 2014, after 30 years, the country's people made a government with a full majority. In 2019, they did the same and brought us back with a bigger mandate.
- We have given the youth a corruption-free government. We have given them an opportunity to fly high. And what did our opposition do in this time? They unsuccessfully tried to break the people's confidence with this non-confidence motion.
- The IMF has called the DBT (direct-benefit transfer) a logistical marvel. WHO has said India is saving lakhs with the Jal Jeevan Mission. WHO analysed the Swachh Bharat Abhiyan and said it has saved three lakh.
- Suspicion is embedded in their blood and bones. When something nice happens, we put kala tika. But the opposition wears kala kapda and becomes the kala tika for the country and brings mangal.
- The opposition predicted the end of the banking system. But public sector banks are bringing in double net profits.
- They made so many allegations. They said HAL (Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd) is finished. They took videos of HAL workers, scared them saying HAL is going down. All they wanted was the downfall of HAL. They said LIC is also over, that the money of the poor has been wasted. But today, LIC is becoming stronger and stronger.
- Their favourite slogan is "Modi teri kabr khudegi (Modi will dig your grave). But for me, their abuse and unparliamentary words are like tonic. Why do they do this? I believe the opposition has got a secret vardaan - anyone they speak against end up flourishing. I am an example. They spoke against the banking sectors. They got experts from outside. They spread rumours. The state banks' profits doubled.
- The country believes that in 2028 when you will bring a no-confidence motion, by then the country will be in the top three.
- Whichever institution they (opposition) speak against, their luck turns around. These people have no belief in the country's capabilities. I have said, in our third term, India will be the third-biggest economy.
- The opposition should have asked responsible questions. But the Congress said it will automatically become the third-biggest. This shows they have no planning, no policies.
- The country was on the verge of bankruptcy in 1991. But after 2014, India secured a spot in the top five. The Congress may think it happened through the touch of a wand. But it happened through "reform, perform and extreme hard work".
- Congress and its friends' history shows they have no faith in India and its capabilities. Pakistan attacked our borders and sent terrorists regularly. Kashmir was burning in the fire of terrorism. But Congress trusted the Hurriyat, separatists, and those who roamed with a Pakistani flag. We did surgical strikes. But they didn't believe us. They believed Pakistan.
- Congress is so filled with hubris that they have lost sight of the ground.
- You (opposition) went into a huddle in Bengaluru to do the last rites of the UPA. I should have extended my condolences then. But I am not responsible for the delay. Because you were cremating the UPA and celebrating the application of plaster and paint on ruins. You were trying to present a decades-old car as an EV.
- The opposition's publicity says they have opened mohabbat ka dukaan (shops of love). But it is loot ka dukaan. Your shop has sold Emergency, Partition and torture of Sikhs.
- They like to talk, but don't have the patience to listen [when opposition walked out]