Prime Minister Narendra Modi addressed the centenary celebrations of Aligarh Muslim University (AMU) today via video-conferencing. He said the nation is on a path where "no one should be left behind because of religion", adding that ideological differences are secondary when it comes to matters of the nation. PM Modi also released a postal stamp during the event. Last week, the media statement from the university had said that the Vice Chancellor, Professor Tariq Mansoor, has "appealed to all concerned to keep the Centenary Programme above politics". The premier university has had a thorny relation with the BJP, whose leaders have repeatedly criticised the university students and even suggested that the name of the institution be changed.
Here are the top 5 quotes from PM Modi's address at Aligarh Muslim University (AMU):
- We are heading to path where no one should be left behind because of religion. Everyone should be able to fulfill their dreams. Sabka saath sabka vikaas sabka vishwaas is the main theme of this focus.
- Whatever religion we are born in, it is important to see how to blend our aspirations with national goals. There can be ideological divides in society but when it comes to the nation's development, everything else is secondary. When it comes to the nation, there is no question of ideological differences. It is logical for me to say this here because AMU produced many freedom fighters - they had their ideological differences but they set that aside for freedom. Like freedom united them, we have to work on common ground for 'Naya Bharat'.
- Politics and society can wait but the country's development cannot wait. In the last century, a lot of time has been lost over differences. There is no more time to lose.
- Wherever they may be, the alumni of this prestigious institution has always made India proud. It is not just the alumni and the students, but the contribution of each and every teacher over the last 100 years, since the start of this university.
- Recently, during the COVID-19 pandemic, the manner in which you set up facilities for check-ups, the manner in which you all helped those who needed it, as well as contributing significantly to the PM-CARES fund, all show your sincere intent towards working for the nation.