Prime Minister Narendra Modi today thanked the voters of Varanasi, his parliamentary constituency, for "reposing faith" in him by addressing them at the Pundit Deen Dayal Hastakala Academy. Earlier in the day he had performed rituals at the famous Kashi Vishwanath temple along with BJP chief Amit Shah.
He was received at the airport by Uttar Pradesh Governor Ram Naik, Amit Shah, and Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath among others.
This is PM Modi's first visit to his constituency after he won the Lok Sabha elections by a huge margin of 4.79 lakh votes. He not only retained his seat, but also saw his victory margin increase by nearly 1 lakh votes as compared to the 2014 general elections.
Prime Minister Modi led the BJP to a resounding victory for a second term in office. In first back-to-back majority in the general elections for a single party in over three decades, BJP won 303 out of 542 Lok Sabha seats that went to polls, handing out a crushing defeat to the Congress and many other political opponents.
Here are the live updates on PM Modi in Varanasi, his constituency, after he won Lok Sabha elections:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi addresses BJP workers in Varanasi for the first time after winning Lok Sabha elections.
- Satisfaction of party workers is my mantra, says PM Modi.
- Being a BJP worker I toe the party line, says PM Modi.
- A Modi from every home fought this election.
- I had full faith in the people of Varanasi.
- The strength this win has given me is unparalleled.
- I am grateful to the opponents who fought against me.
- Maths was defeated by Chemistry, but there is no alternative to hard work, says PM Modi
- Election was a festival of democracy, says PM Modi.
- He said Kashi gives him strength and peace.
- Here in Kashi, I thank all of Uttar Pradesh as the state leads the nation's politics.
- Many people voted despite the heath, says PM Modi
- Workers are the biggest catalysts; Government and party go together, says PM Modi
- We have our shortcomings, but our intentions are good, says PM Modi
- "We never did votebank politics. However, earlier governments succumbed to this."
- BJP chief Amit Shah addresses BJP workers in Varanasi.
- It is the good fortune of Varanasi that PM Modi represents them, says Amit Shah
- Amit Shah says PM had full faith in the people of Kashi.
Yogi Adityanath addresses BJP workers in Varanasi ahead of PM Modi's speech.
- PM Modi, Uttar Pradesh Yogi Adityanath and BJP chief Amit Shah at the Pundit Deen Dayal Hastakala Academy.
- PM Modi will address a gathering of BJP workers shortly.
- PM Narendra Modi making his way out of the Kashi Temple after performing rituals.
- Now, he is heading to Pundit Deen Dayal Hastakala Academy where he will address the BJP workers.
- The chief priest of the famous Kashi Vishwanath temple helped PM Modi perform rituals.
- BJP chief Amit Shah is also performing rituals with PM Modi.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi reaches famous Kashi Vishwanath Temple.
- Just before performing the rituals, PM Modi folds hands inside the temple with Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath standing in the background.
- PM Modi's cavalcade is travelling by road from Police Lines to Bansphatak. It will also pass through many other parts of the city.
- As PM Modi's convoy passed, people standing along the barricaded roads all along the way greeted and cheered for him.
- Balloons, posters, and cut-outs of the Prime Minister adorned the route.
- Amid heavy security, people chanted "Modi-Modi" and "Har Har Mahadev" to the top of their voices as his convoy made its way.
- His first stop will be at famous Kashi Vishwanath temple.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi arrived in his parliamentary constituency Varanasi to thank voters for reposing faith in him.
- He arrived at the Lal Bahadur Shastri International Airport, Babatpur via an Indian Air Force plane.
- He was received by Uttar Pradesh Governor Ram Naik, Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath along with other important dignitaries.