This Article is From Mar 06, 2015

High-Level Inquiry Ordered Into Mob Lynching of Alleged Rapist: Nagaland Chief Minister TR Zeliang to NDTV

A curfew has been clamped in Dimapur

Dimapur, Nagaland:

An alleged rapist, suspected to be an illegal migrant, was thrashed and killed by a mob which stormed the high-security central jail in Nagaland's commercial town of Dimapur, officials said. Nagaland Chief Minister TR Zeliang told NDTV in the morning that the government has ordered a high-level inquiry into the incident. The Centre has also sought a report from the Nagaland government on the incident.

"No, this is a very unfortunate incident that took place yesterday... Actually the culprit was booked, and forwarded to judicial custody and he was in Central Jail. But despite public asking to extend the interrogation and take action on the culprit. They forcibly they have taken out. So, the security people were overpowered and they could not contain the situation," Mr Zeliang told NDTV on Friday morning.

"The Governor immediately had the cabinet meeting and appealed to the people to come down. Whatever happened, happened. But constituted enquiry committee, High level enquiry committee. So now, the government will enquire into the matter, seriously," he added.

At least 10 vehicles were also set ablaze by the unruly mob forcing the authorities to clamp curfew in Dimapur district.

Syed Farid Khan, a 35-year-old second hand car dealer, had allegedly raped a 20-year-old Naga woman on February 23 and 24 at different locations. Police arrested Khan on February 25 and later a lower court sent him to judicial custody.

"A mob of around 4,000 people stormed the central jail after breaking the two gates and took the accused out of jail and paraded him naked to the city tower in the heart of Dimapur town, before we could rescue him from the mob," district police chief Meren Jamir told IANS.

He said Khan died after he was badly thrashed by the mob.

"The body was retrieved from the mob after police fired in the air to disperse them," Jamir said.

"We have clamped curfew in Dimapur district to contain the law and order situation following the unfortunate incident," district magistrate Wezope Kenye told IANS.

He said the district authorities had made all efforts to prevent the mob from storming the central jail.

"We resorted to firing blanks and tear gas shells to disperse the mob but they managed to pull out Khan from the jail," Kenye said.

"The situation is tense and we are making all efforts to restore normalcy in the district," he added.