Here are 10 facts you need to know about Draupadi Murmu:
2. A two-time BJP legislator from Odisha, Ms Murmu was a minister in the Naveen Patnaik cabinet when the Biju Janata Dal or BJD ruled the state with the support of Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), reported the Press Trust of India.
3. Last year, she announced that she will donate her eyes at the Run of Vision programme organised by Kashyap Memorial Eye Hospital (KMEH), Ranchi.
4. An arts graduate from Rama Devi Women's College - Bhubaneswar, she spent almost two decades in politics and social service.
5. Ms Mumure is a former educator who taught at Sri Aravindo Integral Education and Research in Rairangpur. She also worked as a junior assistant in Irrigation Department.
6. She started her political career as a councilor, later becoming the Vice-Chairperson of Rairangpur National Advisory Council or NAC.
7. In 2013, she rose up to the ranks of national executive member of the party's ST Morcha.
8. In 2007, she was awarded 'Nilakantha Award' for best legislator by the legislative assembly of Odisha.
9. Draupadi Murmu's candidature is being viewed as an effort to win the tribal vote share across states by BJP for the upcoming General Elections 2019.
10. According to reports, Ms Murmu's husband - Shyam Charan Murmu - and her two sons have passed away. She has one daughter.
Get the latest election news, live updates and election schedule for Lok Sabha Elections 2019 on ndtv.com/elections. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram for updates from each of the 543 parliamentary seats for the 2019 Indian general elections.