"India will take every step to protect its interests," Defence Minister AK Antony said today.
The Indian army set up its own temporary camp just 500 meters (1600 feet) from the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) soldiers after the incident on April 15. "On April 17, 5th Battalion of Ladakh Scouts was sent to the sector to take on the PLA challenge and they are also camping there now," a senior official said to Reuters.
The assessment in the Indian government is that the Chinese will eventually withdraw but will use this 'occupation' to lay claims to the area at a later stage of border negotiations.
Top sources told NDTV that 15 to 20 soldiers of the People's Liberation Army continue to be stationed in tents pitched in open ground in Indian territory.
China has denied its troops crossed into Indian territory. Foreign ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying said, "Our troops are patrolling on the Chinese side of the actual line of control and have never trespassed the line." (Read)
The two countries hold frequent meetings to diffuse tensions, but high-level talks to resolve the dispute have not produced results.
The latest incident took place at Daulat Beg Oldie, where India established a landing strip during the 1962 war. At 5,100 meters (16,700 feet), the strip is one of the world's highest. It was reopened in 2008.
Last week, a meeting between an Indian team led by a Brigadier-level officer and a senior Colonel from the Chinese side failed to break the deadlock. Although the Indians have asked for another delegation-level meeting with the Chinese, there has been no response to the proposal yet.
Get Breaking news, live coverage, and Latest News from India and around the world on NDTV.com. Catch all the Live TV action on NDTV 24x7 and NDTV India. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram for latest news and live news updates.