The deadline for taxpayers to link their Permanent Account Number (PAN) with their Aadhaar has been extended to June 30, 2023, according to the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT). Linking one's PAN with Aadhaar is an important step to help curb tax evasion, officials say. If taxpayers fail to link the two documents, their PAN card will become inoperative. The taxpayers will be unable to furnish, intimate or quote their PAN in such cases.
Also Read | Aadhaar-PAN Linking: These Individuals Are Exempt From This Mandate
The CBDT also details penal action that taxpayers will face if their Aadhaar and PAN are not linked from July 1. This includes:
- No tax refund to be allowed against such PAN cards
- If the taxpayer links the two documents after filing their return, the Income Tax department will not pay interest on refund for the period when the two documents were not linked
- Both tax deducted at source (TDS) and tax collected at source (TCS) will be deducted/collected at higher rate in such cases
- Taxpayers can make their PAN card operative again within 30 days after paying Rs 1,000 as late fee.
In order to provide some more time to the taxpayers, the date for linking PAN & Aadhaar has been extended to 30th June, 2023, whereby persons can intimate their Aadhaar to the prescribed authority for PAN-Aadhaar linking without facing repercussions.— Income Tax India (@IncomeTaxIndia) March 28, 2023
How to check Aadhar-PAN Card link status online?
A taxpayer will have to visit the Income Tax e-filing portal to check the status of Aadhaar-PAN linking.
- On the homepage, click Quick Links, then Link Aadhaar Status
- The page that open will have two fields where the taxpayer needs to enter PAN and Aadhaar numbers
- After the server checks the status, a pop-up message will be displayed. If Aadhaar and PAN are linked, the message will read: "Your PAN is already linked to given Aadhaar".
- If the two documents are not linked, following message will appear on the screen: "PAN not linked with Aadhaar. Please click on 'Link Aadhaar' to link your Aadhaar with PAN".
- In case the Aadhaar-PAN link is in progress, the taxpayer will see this message: "Your Aadhaar-PAN linking request has been sent to UIDAI for validation. Please check the status later by clicking on 'Link Aadhaar Status' link on Home Page."
Alternatively, taxpayers can also check the status by logging into the Income Tax portal and completing the following steps:
- After logging in, the taxpayer needs to visit the 'Dashboard' on the homepage and click the 'Link Aadhaar Status' option
- He/she can also go to 'My Profile' and click on the 'Link Aadhaar Status' option
- If your Aadhaar is linked to the PAN, the Aadhaar number will be displayed. If the two documents are not linked, 'Link Aadhaar Status' will be displayed
- The website will also show a check-the-status later if the request to link your Aadhaar with PAN card is pending with the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI)
The CBDT said that 51 crore PAN cards have been linked with Aadhaar till date.