- "Cyclone Vayu won't hit Gujarat. It will pass nearby from Veraval, Porbandar and Dwarka. Its effect will be seen on the coastal regions as there will be heavy wind speed and heavy rain as well," Manorama Mohanty of the Met Department said. The"very severe cyclonic storm" moved north-northwestwards in the night over the Arabian Sea, and was around 110 kilometres from the coast of Gujarat.
- It was "very likely" to keep moving in the same direction, but still skirt the coast with winds of between 135-145 kph and gusts of 160 kph, forecasters said.
- The Western Railways cancelled 70 trains and curtailed the journeys of 28 others.
- All schools and colleges along the coastline will remain closed until the warning has passed, and naval diving teams have been kept on standby.
- Flight operations at airports in Porbandar, Diu, Bhavnagar, Keshod and Kandla have been suspended for 24 hours from midnight. A decision on the Surat airport will be taken after reviewing weather conditions.
- Cyclone Vayu made an impact in nearby Mumbai too, with nearly 400 flights being affected due to bad weather. According to PTI, as many as 194 departures and 192 arrivals were delayed, and at least two flights had to be diverted.
- The Gujarat coast is also home to two major ports, Deendayal and Adani in the Gulf of Kutch, as well as the Jamnagar oil refinery, the world's largest. All ports in Gujarat halted the berthing of vessels from Wednesday.
- Fishermen have also been advised against venturing the sea along the Gujarat coast until June 15. Chief Minister Vijay Rupani has already asked tourists in areas such as Dwarka, Somnath, Sasan and Kutch to leave for safer places.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has advised people to closely follow real-time information being disseminated by the authorities. "Praying for the safety and well-being of all those affected by Cyclone Vayu. The Government and local agencies are providing real-time information, which I urge those in affected areas to closely follow," he tweeted.
- Vayu is India's second cyclone this year."Vayu", which means wind in Sanskrit and Hindi, comes after Cyclone Fani caused widespread destruction in Odisha last month.
Follow NDTV for latest election news and live coverage of assembly elections 2019 in Maharashtra and Haryana.
Subscribe to our YouTube channel, like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram for latest news and live news updates.