In an exclusive interview to NDTV, a feisty Anushka Shama took on the new censor board chief Pahlaj Nihalini's nanny streak saying the board is infringing on creative liberty and it's "frustrating" to reason with them. "It's scary that one person can decide the fate of our films," she told NDTV, revealing that the producers have taken the matter up with the Information and Broadcasting Ministry. In a strong and independent comment on cricketer Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma said that its "primitive to call me his distraction and blame me for his performance."
Following are the highlights of the interview:
- Why should we have to be scared of the censor board
- Censor board is infringing on creative liberty
- I am afraid censor board's restrictions will affect originality of cinema
- It's scary that one person can decide the fate of our films
- Why censor brutality & abuses? We are depicting reality which is far worse
- It's been very frustrating to reason with this censor board
- We have complained to Information and Broadcasting Ministry against interference by censor board
- Why not have a wider ratings system instead of censor board?
- Level of intolerance in censor board very scary; it's narrowing the creative world
- Why the hypocrisy of allowing double-meaning dialogues and not uncomfortable reality?
On Women in the Film Industry
- Disparity in pay of actors and actresses is reflective of how society is
- Film industry definitely an unequal world for women
- Scrutiny on me for lip enhancement; would they have asked a man the same?
- Why is the race to number one position only for actresses, not actors?
- Women's looks given more importance than their work
On Virat Kohli
- Primitive to call me his distraction
- Why should I be held responsible for Virat's performance on the field?
- Virat has no impact on my professional performance and I don't have on his
- Why doubt Virat's capability? Give him credit for what he has achieved