The Babri mosque demolition was not planned, a special court judge in Uttar Pradesh's Lucknow said today, acquitting all accused including BJP leaders LK Advani, Murli Manohar Joshi and Uma Bharti. The verdict in the 28-year-old case involving the demolition of Babri Masjid, which stood at the Ram Janmabhoomi site in Ayodhya was announced by special CBI judge SK Yadav. Mr Advani, 92, Murli Manohar Joshi, 86, Uma Bharti and Kalyan Singh were not present in court but joined via video link.
Here are top 5 quotes from the big verdict:
- The Babri mosque demolition was not pre-planned
- Not enough evidence against the accused
- Can't prove authenticity of audio, video provided by CBI
- Anti-social elements tried to demolish the structure, accused leaders tried to stop them
- The audio of the speech is not clear