Ambedkar Jayanti or Bhim Jayanti marks the birth anniversary of Bhimrao Ambedkar or BR Ambedkar - a social reformer, economist and jurist - who gave India its Constitution. Fondly called Baba Saheb, BR Ambedkar campaigned against social discrimination against untouchables and also supported the rights of women and labourers. He was the force behind the Dalit Buddhist Movement in India. For this reason, he is revered as a Dalit icon. Bhimrao Ambedkar was, from his childhood, sensitive towards the plight of Dalits who were treated as untouchables and also ostracised from the society.
Here are 10 Inspiring Quotes From Bhimrao Ambedkar on Ambedkar Jayanti:
- A great man is different from an eminent one in that he is ready to be the servant of the society. - BR Ambedkar
- So long as you do not achieve social liberty, whatever freedom is provided by the law is of no avail to you. - BR Ambedkar
- Political tyranny is nothing compared to the social tyranny and a reformer who defies society is a more courageous man than a politician who defies Government. - BR Ambedkar
- Every man who repeats the dogma of Mill that one country is no fit to rule another country must admit that one class is not fit to rule another class. - BR Ambedkar
- Cultivation of mind should be the ultimate aim of human existence.
- The relationship between husband and wife should be one of closest friends. - BR Ambedkar
- Men are mortal. So are ideas. An idea needs propagation as much as a plant needs watering. Otherwise both will wither and die. - BR Ambedkar
- Life should be great rather than long. - BR Ambedkar
- I measure the progress of a community by the degree of progress which women have achieved. - BR Ambedkar
- I like the religion that teaches liberty, equality and fraternity. - BR Ambedkar
Election Results for Lok Sabha Election 2019 will be out on May 23. Get the latest election news and live updates on ndtv.com/elections. Catch all the action on NDTV Live. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram for news updates from each of the 543 parliamentary seats for the election 2019