PM Modi is also scheduled to address a rally in Dehradun, Uttarakhand, today. (File)
Ahead of the 2019 Lok Sabha elections beginning April 11, Prime Minister Narendra Modi addressed two election rallies in Uttar Pradesh on Friday. The first rally was in in Amroha and the second one was held at Saharanpur parliamentary constituency in support of BJP candidates. Saharanpur will vote on April 11 and Amroha on April 18. PM Modi later addressed a rally in Dehradun, Uttarakhand.
BJP chief Amit Shah addressed public meetings in Arunachal Pradesh, Manipur and Assam on Friday.
Meanwhile, Congress leader Priyanka Gandhi Vadra held a roadshow in Ghaziabad.
Here are the LIVE Updates from Lok Sabha Election campaigning:
"What have you done in 5 years?": Priyanka Gandhi To PM Modi
- This is your right. Time has come for you to think and vote.
- PM Modi waived off a huge amount of sum to crorepati.
- Congress will give 72,000 to all the poor.
- They say we did this we did that, Indira ji did that. Arey Modi, aapne 5 saal mein kya kiya yeh bataiye? (PM Modi, What have you done in 5 years?)
- If you are a nationalist, then you should respect all martyrs irrespective of their religion or caste.
- Aisi rajneeti ko badhava doge, toh aisi rajneeti milegi (If you encourage this politics, you will get such politics.)
Priyanka Gandhi addressing the roadshow In Ghaziabad says:
- Women have come here. It depends on you what kind of politics you want.You want politicians who work for you or somebody who is nalayak.
- Depends on you what raajneti you want.
- Democracy is important. Democracy means politics is in your hands.
- That is not politics where your mouth is closed.
Visuals of Priyanka Gandhi's roadshow in Ghaziabad
National Conference leader Omar Abdullah takes a dig at Hema Malini:
BJP leader and Mathura candidate Hema Malini drives a tractor in Govardhan as part of her election campaign.
When I washed the feet of cleaners at the Kumbh mela in Prayagraj, "behenji" (Mayawati) had all the time to make fun of me. But when the Congress humiliated the cleaners, she did not even release a statement, says PM Modi.
"What the Congress has written in its dishonest manifesto implies that those who commit crime against women will not go to jail, but get bail. Will the nation forgive people who think like that?" asks PM Modi in Uttar Pradesh.
"Under the Congress, Muslim women will suffer. They will not even make way for the Triple Talaq bill. People who think of "boti, boti" will not think of "beti" (daughters)."
The conduct of these "mahamilavat" (adulterated) people shows how they will function when they come to power. The interests of the backward will never be protected.
West Bengal chief minister Mamata Banerjee in Dhubri, Assam says: "In Citizenship Amendment Bill, you will be a foreigner for 6 years, then you will be given citizenship, why? What will you do in the 6 years? What about your job, school and every essential thing. This is nothing but a conspiracy.
Saharanpur is going to reject vote-bank politics of SP, BSP and Congress. People here trust BJP, says PM Modi in Uttar Pradesh.
BJP chief Amit Shah addresses a public meeting in Thoubal, Manipur.
"Northeast was given 238% more funds in the 14th finance commission under the NDA government... 300 km highway has been built in Manipur. Five helipads have been built under the Udan scheme to travel across Manipur. The govt has started work on the expansion of Imphal airport and air cargo terminal," he says.
Congress has announced Dhirender Pratap Singh as its candidate from Shrawasti, Uttar Pradesh.
Samajwadi Party leader Akhilesh Yadav:
I appeal to you all that vote wisely... Vote in a manner in which the country progresses... where the lives of poor and farmers get better, says Samajwadi Party leader Akhilesh Yadav. "We should vote for a government that takes everyone along."
"We want to make India prosper. We want to showcase a new vision. We all have seen an India where the rich kept becoming richer and the poor kept getting poorer. Something needs to be done about it."
"Today, there is massive unemployment, farmers commit suicide, but none of this data is being revealed by the government. We have been demanding to know the figures, but the government is hiding it," he adds.
"Our vision is to focus on jobs and infrastructure growth. The government keeps saying that lot of infrastructure work has been done, but where is it? At least the Samajwadi government had given the best expressway to the country... the best emergency response system... but what has the current government done?"
I love PM Modi... genuinely have no hatred or anger towards the man, says Congress chief Rahul Gandhi in Pune.
"I would like to thank the Government of UAE and people of UAE for honouring me with the Zayed medal. This is not an award given to Modi but to the Indian people," says PM Modi.
PM Modi in Amroha, Uttar Pradesh:
In the last five years, I did not let India bow it's head in shame even once. It is very important for the country to have a strong government. Today, the whole world is looking at India with so much respect... You know why that is happening? Who is responsible for this? No, it is not because of Modi... it is because of 125 crore Indians.
It worries some people that we killed terrorists. When we kill our enemies, some people cry in India. When Pakistan is being unmasked in front of the whole world, they are talking about supporting Pakistan
Be it Congress, SP or BSP, they have put your life and future in danger.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi addresses public meeting at Amroha, Uttar Pradesh.
Delhi Congress leaders meeting underway at state party office. Sheila Dikshit, Haroon Yousuf and state incharge PC Chacko also present, reports news agency ANI.
Rahul Gandhi on the education system of India:
- The basic problem is that our education and business system works without taking into account the skills. You look at the education system in US, they put more focus on skills. I have studied in both the systems. The Indian system has a reputation not because of what it does, but what you (students) do. You are the assets, not IITs or any other institutes. In our system, we don't appreciate questions. The teacher says, and students listen.
- I have guts, and I am answering your (students') questions. Why is the PM not standing here? Why is the PM not standing in open functions and answering questions?
- It's an attitude that "I know everything, and nobody else knows anything."
- Its not just the PM, at every level, we don't appreciate questions.
- The same things are being taught to my nephew, which i was taught 20 years ago. Today, we have gone through complete transformation but still same things are being taught.
Rahul Gandhi talks to students in Pune:
On women reservation: 33% of Lok Sabha, Vidhan Sabha and Rajya Sabha are going to be reserved for women after 2019 when we come to power. Women need to be given space in business and politics too, and they need to be part of the conversation.
On Demonetisation: It was a disastrous idea. You can ask any economist... it had a terrible effect. Two per cent of GDP was lost. Millions of jobs were lost. Frankly, nothing can be done about Demonetisation now as the damage has been done. As far a job creation is concerned, we are working on a lot of ideas which will improve the job scenario in the country. Demonetisation is like an injury.
On Balakot Air Strike: I am against the politicisation of the Air Force strikes. I know where the credit is due. The credit is due to the Air Force and the pilots. The PM politicises the air strikes.
The Sangai Express publisher Nishikant Singh Sapam of Manipur has joined the BJP, says BJP leader Arun Jaitley.
Rahul Gandhi in Pune:
I am here, and I am what I am today, because of courage. My courage comes from experience and because I accept and face the truth. If you accept and face the truth, you get courage, and if you believe and live in lies, you get fear.
In this country, we do not respect skills. We don't build an ecosystem where the skills of people are respected. Our university system is not connected to our job system.
Congress chief Rahul Gandhi interacts with students in Pune.
He will also address two public meetings in Chandrapur and Wardha.
Amit Shah addresses public meeting in Changlang, Arunachal Pradesh:
- Five years ago, northeast was disturbed and there was hardly any development. After five years, BJP brought peace in the region and is on path of development.
- Morarji Desai was the last prime minister who attended a meeting of North Eastern Council (NEC) in the northeast. After 40 years, PM Modi attended the meeting in Shillong. PM Modi instructed his ministers to visit northeast every fortnight. It was done to pay attention to the issues and resolve them.
- All parts of northeast are now connected with airways and railways. Arunachal Pradesh earned Rs 927 crore revenue and the credit goes to Prema Khandu. It's going to make this state financially independent.
- It's for the first time that BJP fighting on all the seats of state assembly of Arunachal Pradesh. Our winning streak started with this region when three MLAs of our party were elected uncontested.
Karnataka chief minister HD Kumaraswamy says: "Election Commission and Income Tax Department are literally harassing me and my family. Let the EC officials perform their duties, but don't harass us on mere suspicion."
Andhra Pradesh chief minister N Chandrababu Naidu to sit on protest in Vijayawada over reported IT raids on TDP candidates and supporters, reports news agency ANI.