- Chronic cough is a warning sign of lung cancer
- Lung cancer claims more lives than breast cancer
- Smoking increases risks of lung cancer
August 1 is observed World Lung Cancer Day 2018. Lung cancer continues to be one of the most common cancers across the world. On World Cancer Day, the idea is to raise awareness about the fact that lung cancer claims more lives every year than colon, breast and prostate cancers. Lung cancer estimates for around 1 in 5 cancer deaths globally. World Lung Cancer Day is commemorated by American College of Chest Physicians and members of the Forum of International Respiratory Societies. The two communities together work at the grassroot level to raise awareness about lung cancer. They work towards creating an educational movement wherein people understand better about lung cancer and the treatments available for it.
On this World Lung Cancer Day, we talk about top warning signs you must be aware of:
1. Never-ending cough: A cough which is caused by respiratory infection or cold will go in a week or two. But a cough which lingers for too long is indicative of lung cancer.
2. Breathing changes: In case you are suddenly feeling short of breath or if you breath is easily winded, it may be an early warning sign of lung cancer.
3. Pain in bones: This may happen in cases where lung cancer has spread to the bones and is giving back pain and other adjoining areas of the body. This pain usually worsens at night or when resting at your back. Check for such pain as it might be an early warning sign of lung cancer.
4. Changes in cough: Smokers should pay attention to their chronic cough. If the frequency of coughing increases or the cough begins to sound more hoarse, or if there is bleeding in your cough, or an unusual amount of mucus - it may all be a warning sign of lung cancer.
5. Wheezing: Constriction, blockage of inflammation in airways can make the lungs produce a wheezing or whistling sound when you breathe. This may be an early warning sign of lung cancer.
6. Pain in the chest: Pain in shoulders, neck, chest or back may all be an early warning sign of lung cancer. Pain in the chest may be confined to a specific area or occurring throughout your chest.
7. Sudden weight loss: Sudden and unexplained weight loss may an warning sign of lung cancer and many other kinds of cancers.
8. Hoarse voice: In case your voice is getting hoarser or deeper, it may be an early warning sign of lung cancer. A simple cold can cause hoarse voice. But a hoarse voice persisting for more than 2 weeks needs to be checked by a doctor.
Get Breaking news, live coverage, and Latest News from India and around the world on NDTV.com. Catch all the Live TV action on NDTV 24x7 and NDTV India. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram for latest news and live news updates.