- Vegetarian Diet can be divided into three parts
- Vitamin B 12 and iron found in meat, fish, eggs and milk are in abundance
- A diet constituting of sea food like fish and eggs sharpen our intellect
Nowadays, we hear a lot of people moving towards vegetarianism - from celebrities to models and to a lot of health enthusiasts. For years there has been an on-going debate on whether or not a vegetarian diet is healthy and aids weight loss. A Vegetarian diet can be divided into three parts that is - total vegetarian, lacto vegetarian and lacto-ovo vegetarian. A pure vegetarian diet includes fruits, nuts, vegetables, fruits, grains, and legumes. The lacto vegetarian diet contains dairy products like milk, butter, cheese etc., and plant food. According to the Delhi based nutritionist, Pooja Malhotra, ''the lacto-vegetarian diets are very practical, easy to plan, wholesome diets.They certainly help in losing weight without compromising on nutrients. These are recommended for both adults and kids. '' On the other hand, lacto-ovo vegetarian food includes eggs and dairy products like milk, butter, cheese and so on. No doubt a vegetarian diet is full of vitamins and minerals, fiber, magnesium, unsaturated fat and folic acid. Such diet protects us from various diseases like diabetes, heart diseases, controls blood pressure, and prevents us from cancer and lower cholesterol levels. A non-vegetarian diet includes chicken, meat, eggs and fish. A non-vegetarian diet also has several health benefits because this type of food is rich in protein and vitamin B. Non-vegetarian food strengthens our muscles and helps them grow faster. It also helps to maintain body stamina and hemoglobin.
She concluded by saying that '' Many people now a days are adopting the flexitarian approach. A flexitarian diet is primarily a vegetarian diet with the occasional intake of meat. It's a realistic way to cut down meat intake and improve health. The choice of meat and the cooking method both are important.''
(Pooja Malhotra is a Delhi based Nutrionist and Author)
Here are some advantages of a meat diet:
1. Protein: A non-vegetarian diet which primarily includes meat, fish, eggs and dairy food is a good source of protein. However, protein can also be found in cereal products, nuts and pulses but these protein sources are incomplete.
2. Vitamin B 12: Vitamin B 12 and iron found in meat, fish, eggs and milk are in abundance. It is very important for the formation of red blood cells and nerve fibres. If our bodies do not produce enough red blood cells it can lead to iron deficiency known as anaemia. The deficiency of iron or vitamin B 12 can result in fatigue.
3. Fitness: Meat, chicken and fish along with eggs, protects our body from the excessive cold weather during winters. Eggs and fish provide us the essential vitamins, proteins, nutrients and minerals that are good for your overall health.
4. Enhanced wisdom- According to the medical science, a diet constituting of sea food like fish and eggs sharpen our intellect and promote the smooth functioning of our brain. This ultimately accelerates our wisdom.
Disclaimer: This content including advice provides generic information only. It is in no way a substitute for qualified medical opinion. Always consult a specialist or your own doctor for more information. NDTV does not claim responsibility for this information.
(This story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)