- Jamun is nutritious and the ideal fruit to beat the heat
- Plums are vitamin packed with high content of vitamins A, C, E and K
- Cherries impact sleep, weight, blood pressure, digestion and much more
True to their colour, the purple to red coloured fruits are truly superfoods; these are powerful agents of good health and weight loss. And it's that time of the year when the fruit vendors carry the most colours. More variety of colours implies more nutrients and antioxidants and the deeper the shades, higher the antioxidant content. The purple colour can be attributed to the presence of an antioxidant called anthocyanin. What better for weight loss than eating these very nutritious and delicious fruits? Keep reading to know more about them.
Weight loss: Let's take a look at the purple summer fruits and their numerous health benefits
1. Jamun: Also known as jamu, jambol or jawa plum. It's a purple, olive-like fruit, also referred to as the 'Fruit of the Gods'. It's sweet and sour and also has an astringent flavor. It's not only nutritious, but also very refreshing and helps us to beat the heat. It can also be included in your weight loss diet.
It contains a significant amount of Vitamin C, B vitamins, iron, magnesium, dietary fibre, potassium and vitamin A. Besides, it's loaded with antioxidants. Some benefits include:
- The potassium content makes it heart friendly
- Vitamin C content boosts the immune system
- The antioxidants fight the free radical damage
- Helps lower blood sugar and also aids weight loss
- Promote bowel movement and helps relieve constipation
2. Phalsa: Is a sweet and tangy, purple coloured fruit. It's a natural cooling agent but has some great medicinal properties. It provides nutrients like calcium, iron, magnesium, riboflavin, vitamin A and vitamin C, alongside antioxidants like anthocyanins, tannins and flavonoids. Some health benefits include:
- Used to treat respiratory problems like asthma, bronchitis, colds
- Used to treat anemia
- Helps treat problems like acidity, indigestion
- Helps relieve urinary problems like burning
- It is anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial and anti-carcinogenic
- Helps treat skin ailments like eczema, pimples, acne and dryness
Also read: 6 Best Foods For Weight Loss During Summer
3. Plums: This purple juicy fruit is delicious both in its fresh form as well as the dried version (prunes). Plums are an excellent source of nutrients like vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin K, folate, thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, Vitamin E, potassium, phosphorus, iron, magnesium, zinc and calcium too.
Plums are also loaded with antioxidants like anthocyanins and polyphenolic compounds like lutein, zeaxanthin, cryptoxanthin which effectively scavenge free radicals. Some health benefits include:
- The antioxidants provide protection against breast and oral cancer
- Plums contain isatin and sorbitol which help relieve constipation
- Plums contain soluble fibres which help lower blood sugar as well as cholesterol.
- Strengthen immune system due to presence of Vitamin C
- Helps maintain healthy nervous system due to presence of amino acid tryptophan which is a precursor to the neuro transmitter serotonin which regulates sleep, appetite and improves concentration.
4. Cherry: These vary in colour from red to purple. Hailed as one of the healthiest fruit to America's superfood, this vibrant fruit packs a blend of sweetness and tanginess at the same time. Cherries are loaded with potassium, calcium, folic acid, vitamin A and Vitamin C and antioxidants like anthocyanins and cyanidin. Some health benefits include:
- Cherries contain a hormone called melatonin which regulate sleep and wake cycles and facilitate sound and peaceful sleep
- Facilitate weight loss
- The antioxidants scavenge free radicals and prevent inflammation
- The high potassium content helps control blood pressure
- They are alkaline in nature and help relieve acidity and indigestion
These are a few of the colourful bounties of nature. Remember, the more colour on your plate, the better is the nutrient value of your meals.
Enjoy what grows locally and is in season as seasonal foods are best in terms of nutrient value.
Disclaimer: This content including advice provides generic information only. It is in no way a substitute for qualified medical opinion. Always consult a specialist or your own doctor for more information. NDTV does not claim responsibility for this information.