- A mixture of honey and cinnamon boosts your immunity
- You can steep a ginger root in hot water to make a healing herbal tea
- Thyme herb is excellent for relieving congestion.
1. Cinnamon: A mixture of honey and cinnamon to treat cold has been granny’s favourite remedy. It makes your immunity stronger and energizes the virus-fighting cells. You can even make a cinnamon tea to soothe a sore throat.
2. Ginger: Ginger can help in curing symptoms like upset stomach, dizziness, and cold sweats that are common during the flu season. Sucking on pieces of raw ginger root and taking in all the healing juices is also a great natural cough suppressant. You can even steep a ginger root in hot water to make a healing herbal tea.
3. Licorice: Also known as mulethi, sucking on a piece of licorice root is great to relieve cough. Licorice is known to contain a compound called glycyrrhizin that has potent anti-viral effects against flu and other diseases.
4. Thyme: This one is a little different from your traditional remedies. Thyme herb is excellent for relieving congestion. You can brew a cup of thyme tea with fresh herbs and you can also bung some herbs in boiling water and inhale the aromatic steam to loosen up the mucous in our chest and facilitate its elimination.
6. Mint: Mint or peppermint is a great fragrant herb that offers a cooling sensation to soothe your throat. It contains a compound called menthol that helps in opening up your nasal passages.
Keep these herbs and spices handy in your kitchen cabinets to protect yourself during the flu season.
Get the latest election news, live updates and election schedule for Lok Sabha Elections 2019 on ndtv.com/elections. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram for updates from each of the 543 parliamentary seats for the 2019 Indian general elections.