Essential oils offer great health benefits for your skin and hair. They can soothe and rejuvenate your body and mind with the help of the naturally-occurring volatile aroma compounds that they contain. These are natural oils that are obtained by distillation of a particular plant and they retain the characteristic scent or 'essence' of the source from where they have been extracted. Here are five benefits of using essential oils for your skin and body.
- Tea tree oil is known to kill acne-causing bacteria naturally
- Lavender oil is good for treating a dry scalp
- Rosemary oil is known for its astringent properties
1. Treat acne and pimples: Mix one or two drops of tea tree essential oil with multani mitti and water to make a paste. Apply on the affected area and wash off after 15 minutes with lukewarm water. Tea tree oil is known to kill acne-causing bacteria naturally.
2. Treats damaged hair: Ylang Ylang Oil is great for treating dry, damaged and thin hair. Mix 4 to 5 drops of this essential oil with castor oil and massage on your scalp regularly for best results. It helps in hair growth. Lavender oil is also good for treating a dry scalp and getting rid of split ends.
3. Cleanses and rejuvenates your skin: Rosemary oil is known for its astringent properties and thus, helps in cleansing, rejuvenating and hydrating the skin. It can help in reducing wrinkles and under eyes and also lightens dark spots and scars.
4. Gives you glowing skin: Rose hip oil is known to be great for dealing with dull skin and it infused a natural glow. Mix it with almond oil and massage on your skin. It contains Vitamin C and Lycopene that are great for your skin.
5. Fades away stretch marks: A mix of coconut oil and jasmine essential oil is great for fading away stretch marks and providing elasticity to lose and sagging skin.
Always remember that essential oils cannot be applied directly and need to be mixed with a carrier oil such as coconut, almond, sesame, castor and even rice bran oil.