- Fatty fish may be good for your heart and brain health
- Fatty fish may include salmon, tuna, tilapia and mackerel
- Fatty fish are rich in essential omega-3 fatty acids
1. Good for your heart: A study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition shows that regular consumption of fatty fish lowered triglycerides by 25 to 30 per cent. Studies have also shown that consumption of fatty fish may help in lower the risk of heart attack and stroke.
2. High in nutrients: Fatty fish is high in important nutrients such as Vitamin D and protein. In fact, they are one of the few natural food sources of Vitamin D which is mostly derived from sun’s exposure. Not to miss, the Omega-3 fatty acids those are essential for your brain and body to function optimally.
3. Protects your brain: Consumption of fatty fish may protect your brain from age-related diseases such as Alzheimer’s disease and dementia. It is known to slower rates of cognitive decline. Certain studies have shown that people who eat fish regularly have more grey matter in their brain centers that control emotions and memory.
4. Boosts mood and keeps depression at bay: Omega-3 fatty acids in these kinds of fish are known to boost your mood and keep the risk of depression at bay. Fatty fish have the feel good factor that leaves you happy and satisfied. Some studies have shown that people who eat fatty fish or consume Omega-3 fatty acids regularly may be less likely to get depressed.
It is best to consult a medical practitioner before making changes to your diet; however, moderate consumption of fatty fish may be a part of a healthy diet.
Get Breaking news, live coverage, and Latest News from India and around the world on NDTV.com. Catch all the Live TV action on NDTV 24x7 and NDTV India. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram for latest news and live news updates.