While for admission to many programs, an International student might need proficiency in German language, there are many universities which offer a variety of courses in English language too.
Top 5 German Universities
Almost 12 German Universities feature in the top 200 Universities list by QS World Ranking for 2018. From among these, the top 5 are:
- Technical University of Munich
- Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München
- Ruprecht-Karls-Universität Heidelberg
- KIT, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology
- Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin
A student from outside Germany needs to have Hochschulzugangsberechtigung (HZB), which means 'higher education entrance qualification'. For undergraduate students this can be a high-school diploma, school-leaving certificate or university entrance exam result. Indian students are eligible to apply for a Bachelor program in Germany if they fulfill any one of the following criteria:
- Student should have completed the first year of a Bachelor degree program from a recognized university in India in a relevant subject.
- Student should have cleared the IIT JEE or JEE Advanced exam.
- Student should have passed in Feststellungsprüfung entrance examination after attending a preparatory Studienkolleg. This is a full-time course with about 32 hours of instruction per week and usually takes up to two semesters to complete. The two components of the course are German language and subjects relevant to the study programme you want to register for later. The minimum eligibility criteria for enrollment in a Studienkolleg are a valid school leaving certificate (12th) with relevant subject combination and proficiency in German language (approx. B1 level based on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages). A student's subject knowledge and if applicable German language proficiency is tested in an entrance exam (Aufnahmeprüfung) by the course coordinators before enrollment in the foundation course.
How to Apply?
In order to apply, first go through the DADA website for admission requirements and other important information for International students. The next step is to gather more information about the university where you wish to apply. Once you have all the required information and you are sure of your eligibility for the said university and course, you can send a request for the application form to the University and carry forward the rest of the process.
Read Here: Why Studying Abroad Is A Good Idea?
For more information you can visit the DADA website for Indian students, http://www.daaddelhi.org, or the official website of the concerned university.