New Delhi: Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal, with the support of the eight legislators of the Congress, today demonstrated on the floor of the state legislature that he has the support of 38 of Delhi's 70 MLAs.
Before the trust vote, in a short speech to close the debate on it, Mr Kejriwal said the aam aadmi or common man wants honest politics.
Following are the top 10 quotes from Mr Kejriwal's speech:
- Whatever we say here today is not against any party or person. We are not here to do politics. I have not stood up here to save a government... we want swaraaj, the people's rule, in Delhi.
- Who is an aam aadmi? AAP believes that the middle class is part of the aam aadmi, anyone who is tired of this corrupt system is aam aadmi.
- Delhi's aam aadmi has taken the lead in telling the country as to which direction the national politics should go. They should also decide as to which side they are in the fight between truth and honesty in politics and whether they want to participate in it.
- I was reading two people died of cold in Delhi. Millions have been spent after independence and perhaps this could have been avoided if the money was well-spent. Where did all the money go? The aam aadmi wants to know. We must acknowledge that politics in this country has been criminalised.
- The politicians of this country challenged the aam aadmi to fight elections and come into the legislatures and frame laws. Those leaders forgot that the aam aadmi tills the land, netas don't. Aam aadmi goes to the moon, netas don't. Left with no option, aam aadmi decided that we will fight elections.
- The existing Lokayukta law in Delhi is very weak. We want a strong anti-graft law.
- I did not believe in God but I now do. I believe that truth can never lose... It was an impossible fight, who would have thought that a one-year-old party will win 28 seats.
- There is an odd VIP raj prevalent. They stop the traffic for every minister... I have been driving the past few days. I stop at all red lights. I don't think my time is wasted (while looking at the opposition)
- In any case of sexual harassment, the culprits must get the strictest punishment within three-six months.
- The people of Delhi have dared to root out corruption in India's politics. The question before this house is which of its members wants to be a part of this fight?
Election Results for Lok Sabha Election 2019 will be out on May 23. Get the latest election news and live updates on ndtv.com/elections. Catch all the action on NDTV Live. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram for news updates from each of the 543 parliamentary seats for the election 2019