Cops Stop, Quarantine 24 Returning To Andhra From Wedding In Chhattisgarh

The group had travelled to Bhillai in March to attend a wedding but could not return after the nationawide lockdown was imposed on March 25.

Cops Stop, Quarantine 24 Returning To Andhra From Wedding In Chhattisgarh

Police stopped them since they didn't have permission to return to Andhra Pradesh (Representational)

Srikakulam, Andhra Pradesh:

A bus from Bhilai was stopped at the inter-state check post in Srikakulam district of Andhra Pradesh with 24 passengers returning from a wedding and was later released after the intervention of the local MLA.

The local police, however, denied allegations of any kind of highhandedness by the MLA.

Talking to ANI about the incident, Sub-Inspector P Siddhartha Kumar said a group of 24 people from Andhra Pradesh's Palasa who had travelled to Bhilai to attend a wedding in March.

"On the day they were scheduled to return, a nationwide lockdown was announced and so they were stuck in Bhilai all these days. At last, they took permission from the collector in Bhillai and returned to Andhra Pradesh," he said.

"However, police at Pattupuram inter-state check post stopped them as they had not obtained permission from the Srikakulam District Collector (DC). It took some time for them to get the required permission. The DC later issued permission to send them to the Tekkali quarantine centre," he added.


Meanwhile, at around 9 pm, Palasa MLA Seediri Appalaraju went to the check post and asked the officials to release the bus. The police said that they had to be sent to the quarantine centre at Tekkali. The MLA, however, suggested that the occupants be sent to the quarantine centre at Palasa.

Although the police initially resisted, as they had received orders for the occupants to be taken to Tekkali only, the MLA intervened and the bus was sent to quarantine centre at Mandasa Youth Training Centre.

The police official denied any kind of high-handedness by the MLA saying, "The matter was amicably resolved and the bus, with 24 persons plus driver and cleaner, was sent to the Mandasa quarantine."