New Delhi: The school principal of the juvenile, who is one of the accused in the gang-rape of a medical student in Delhi last month, today submitted before a Juvenile Justice Board that as per the school records he is 17 years and six months old.
The present and the former headmasters of the school in Bhawanipur at Badaun in Uttar Pradesh, where the juvenile had studied till Class III, appeared before the Board presided over by Principal Magistrate Geetanjali Goel and told her that they cannot identify the boy but know that he took admission in the school in 2002.
The former principal said during the time of admission, the boy's father had come to admit him and mentioned his date of birth as April 6, 1995.
He further told the court that they never ask the parents to give the child's birth certificate as age proof during the time of admission in the school.
"We take this as the official record and later on follow the same throughout the academic session, so it could not be doubted," the Principal said.
Taking note of the submissions made by both the school Principals, the court has now fixed January 28 as the next date of hearing in the case.
The legal aid counsel for the juvenile advocate Rajesh Tiwari, however, told media persons outside the court that on the next date of hearing in the case the Board will hear arguments to decide the age of the juvenile and will thereafter give its verdict whether he is a major or minor.
The accused, along with five other men, brutally gang-raped a 23-year-old student in a moving bus in the capital on December 16, sparking nation-wide protests. The student died 13 days later at a Singapore hospital.