Hyderabad: 16 people have been killed and 117 injured in the twin blasts that ripped through Hyderabad's busy neighbourhood of Dilsukhnagar last evening. Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde will update Parliament this afternoon on the details of the terror strike.
Here are 10 developments:
- The focus is now on whether intelligence alerts were not taken seriously or acted upon. In Delhi, intelligence agencies warned 72 hours ago of a possible terror strike in cities including Hyderabad and Bangalore. (See Pics of the blasts)
- Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde, who visited Hyderabad today, said there was intelligence about attacks, but that it was general.
- In October, the Delhi Police said that alleged Indian Mujahideen terrorists it had arrested had disclosed that they had surveyed Dilsukhnagar as the location for a possible terror strike.
- Police say Improvised Explosive Devices or IEDs were used in the blasts. Traces of RDX have been found .Timers were used to trigger the explosions.
- Wires of a security camera near the location of the blasts had been snapped four days ago. Traffic police sources say they were aware of this but did not re-connect the camera.(Intel alert mentioned Hyderabad; CCTV camera's wires were snapped)
- Eyewitnesses are being questioned and sketches of suspects being prepared.
- The bombs, placed on bicycles near a small restaurant in Dilsukhnagar, went off just after 7 pm yesterday, within five minutes of each other. The Hyderabad police chief, on way to the Sai Baba temple, had passed by about 15 minutes ago. (Hyderabad blasts: 16 killed, 117 injured)
- The test match between India and Australia, scheduled to start in Hyderabad on March 2, has not been re-scheduled. (After terror strike, Hyderabad Test match has not been rescheduled)
- Crucial forensic evidence may have been destroyed by crowds swarming the area last night, who ignored police orders to leave the area for several hours.
- No organisation has claimed responsibility for the terror attack.
Story First Published: February 22, 2013 11:24 IST